stuck starter in flywheel housing. any suggestions on how to remove? thanks team.

hi all. starter is rusted in place. i took the two long bolts out and all i have is the front of the starter housing stuck now inside the rear of the flywheel cover. any suggestions? i have the wd-40 in there now. complete rebuild is underway but i do not want to damage the flywheel hiousing either. thanks for the help team Greenhulk!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhollander View Post
    hi all. starter is rusted in place. i took the two long bolts out and all i have is the front of the starter housing stuck now inside the rear of the flywheel cover. any suggestions? i have the wd-40 in there now. complete rebuild is underway but i do not want to damage the flywheel hiousing either. thanks for the help team Greenhulk!
    They require a little force to get them out when they are not rusted in place.... Worst case would be to pop off the flywheel and stator, remove the housing, and deal with it that way.....

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    They require a little force to get them out when they are not rusted in place.... Worst case would be to pop off the flywheel and stator, remove the housing, and deal with it that way.....
    I agree, remove the housing with the starter in it and then see if you can give the starter a twist. I bet once you can rotate it you will be able to work it out.

+1
    Once you have the flywheel cover off you should be able to drive the leftovers out with a punch from the inside. I've also taken off the exhaust & used a small dent puller & gotten them out without disturbing anything else.

Fixer! Worked like a charm. iprovised a wicked old socket w/ extension (was prepared to toss it after!) with the hammer. 15 solid all my might whacks and pop! the weasel came out and flew across the room. Problem #2 now.....seeing i have no impact driver i had a bolt stuck that holds the enigine mount plate on....well yeap you guessed it.... bolt head snapped off leaving threads only stuck in engine block. entire bolt is crusty white? I assume corrosion. anyone got any suggestions on how to remove this or should i let whomever is going to rebuild the old girl deal with it? i prefer to get it out myself... i do have a screw extractor set but i am pretty sure its not goingto work on this one. thanks again for the ehlp all!

Fixer.. where abouts in Mass are you located? just curious. I split my time between Weymouth and Wrentham/Plainville.

+1
    Right in between the two, West bridgewater. Feel free to tap me for anything you might need I have a ton of stuff.
    If there is a stub left that you can grab with some vise grips I'd try giving it a good rap with a hammer to break up the corrosion & see if you can crank it out

Thread Information