Thread: no spark?

no spark?

i am new to jet skis but im very good with motors and engines. i was recently given a jet ski (yamaha gpr1300) that was sank but only the back end went under water. i rebuilt the motor new pistons rings crank cylinders and the head. i tried to start it and i had no spark. i bought a whole electrical box online from a reliable source. new coils wires fuses. i still have no spark. ive been trying to read up on it but cant seem to figure out y i have no spark. im am not sure of all the technical names for things so if u could please be specific. any ideas would greatly be appriciated. thank you

+1
    open or unplugged water temp sensor (bottom rear of pipe before waterbox) or throttle not resting at true idle will cause no spark

how can i test to see if the throttle is not resting at true idle. and can i test the sensor? if so how can i do that

Your stator is probably no good there bad about going out with sank boats. Ohm out stator. Pull front mag cover off and replace if bad

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox2011 View Post
    Your stator is probably no good there bad about going out with sank boats. Ohm out stator. Pull front mag cover off and replace if bad
    There is NO stator on this boat only an alt.CDI boats need no such boost. Throttle cable is out of adjusment likley too tight. saftey thing to kill timing if not at idel when start button is pushed

They have a stator or generator alternator sits in front of flywheel

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox2011 View Post
    They have a stator or generator alternator sits in front of flywheel
    2 different things its an alt,,, charges the batt only. stator helps to fire the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    2 different things its an alt,,, charges the batt only. stator helps to fire the plug.
    I would definately investigate the sensor at the bottom of the stinger pipe. The sensor is about $70 and it will not spark if it is unplugged or bad. Also, you can disconnect the fuel injection wiring harness under the cowl. If spark returns, it may be the TPS. Also check the cable as someone stated and insure that the throttle cable is returning back to the closed position. When I had a no spark issue, it was the bottom sensor on the stinger pipe. On my 06 Gp1300r, you could hold the start button down and continue to try to crank the engine for over 5 seconds continuously and the alarm would beep and the sensor indicator would blink on the display indicating that sensor was what was preventing the engine from starting.

Thread Information