Thinking about buying an 06 RXT

Hi all,
    I came across a 2006 RXT with 86 hours for sale for 5500. Seems like a decent price and by the pictures it looks to be in very good condition and only used in freshwater. I have been reading on here about the ceramic SC washers and that has me a little cautious about even going to look at it. Are the washers the only major weak spot with these ski's?

As far as the washers, what can i do, without removing the SC, to tell if they are still good (I hope to be able to do a test ride, but if not what should i look for)? Since it has 86 hours, the washers are probably on their last leg if they havent been upgraded yet. Also ive read that the SC needs to be rebuilt every 100 hours. Is this still necessary with the steel washers?

Any other general things to look for would be great to know too! What compression should i be seeing on this engine?

the seller also said that sometimes it wont start, it just clicks. He thinks is just a solenoid. Not sure if thats anything i should worry about or not.

After looking at a few more threads on here i saw that someone suggested removing the intake line going to the SC to make sure the wheel doesnt turn freely. Would this be a good enough test to see if the ceramic washers are still good?

No u can't check the washers without removing supercharger. If supercharger free spins with air tube off it is in need of repair. Check carbon ring on shaft for excessive wear, just flip up rubber cover and inspect from inside under rear compartment. I would find a rxp if u really want a ... 10mph faster due too having trim. And better handling good luck and IMHO get a yami I've seen too many sea doos go down get a fxho 5000$ or a used sho for like 7000$

thanks for the response. We are actually getting a 2012 FXHO, just looking for something to compliment it and the ZXI. I'd love to find another HO or SHO for 4-6k range but everything seems to be much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox2011 View Post
    No u can't check the washers without removing supercharger. If supercharger free spins with air tube off it is in need of repair. Check carbon ring on shaft for excessive wear, just flip up rubber cover and inspect from inside under rear compartment. I would find a rxp if u really want a ... 10mph faster due too having trim. And better handling good luck and IMHO get a yami I've seen too many sea doos go down get a fxho 5000$ or a used sho for like 7000$
    Not true....an RXP is only maybe 2-3 mph faster, not 10.

^ good to know. I dont have to have the fastest ski out there, just something thats really fun to ride. Thats what I like so much about the old ZXI, it can just slide it around all over the place. I would, however, like to have adjustable trim, didnt know the RXT did not have that.

I might just keep looking around, seems like these sea-doos just need too much work to keep them going. I will still probably go look at this one, so im still looking for advice on what to check.

I've owned GTX limited's and RXP's, the RXP is the way to go unless you want a family cruiser. Not sure about the japanese brands, heard both ways. The washers should be replaced with non-ceramics, can be done with instructions from this site if your mechanically inclined. I rebuilt my SC and replaced the washers myself, doable if your patient. There's a guy who will rebuild the SC if you take it out for 75$ + parts or do just the washers for 35$, he's in the threads, do a search.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up going with an 06 honda r12x of all things. I like the looks, reliability, and fuel efficiency of them. I know theyre far from the fastest things around but it was fun to ride (the little riding i actually got to do on the test ride, water was really cold).
    Also supposed to pick up an ultra 300 LX next weekend, that one should be interesting.

Thread Information