Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Glove Box Accidental Opening - Fix

Yesterday was very windy so big waves and very choppy conditions here in the Tampa Bay area. For the first time my glove box opened not on purpose and I couldn't get the damn thing to stay closed. Upon getting it back to the garage I determined that the strike plate which has two bumps that the latch pin rests between wore down and that the padding on the lid itself wasn't putting enough positive pressure between the strike plate and pin to keep it secure in bumpy conditions. Here is how I fixed.

2x Nylon Bushings (Black would look better)
    1 small screw

I cut one of the nylon bushings so that the two would fit the length of the pin. The pin is hollow so I squeezed it a little to make a good recepticle for the screw that I would put on the end to hold the bushings in place. You could also "bend" the pin to make it fit tighter to the strike plate but that would wear down the ridges with steel gliding over plastic so the plastic bushings will make the strike plate last longer. If that wears down then a rivet on each side of the ridges is the next step. More pics here... http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/album.php?albumid=1560

There was a previous posting of this problem but I couldn't find it after doing some searching. If you know where it is please link the two together.

+1
    Sweet

I've have my FZR glove box pop open before when riding in real rough water. I have a GPS mounted on my glove box and that extra weight makes it easier to pop open. Come spring, I'm going to see if there is a similar mod to yours I can do on my FZ. The glove box locking mechanism is very different, but I'll give it a try.

+1
    Nice work.

+1
    Yes...I have a RAM mount adhesive attached with cell phone on the lid. But I don't think that causes any issue. Just wear from that steel pin riding over plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Sweet

I've have my FZR glove box pop open before when riding in real rough water. I have a GPS mounted on my glove box and that extra weight makes it easier to pop open. Come spring, I'm going to see if there is a similar mod to yours I can do on my FZ. The glove box locking mechanism is very different, but I'll give it a try.

+1
    Here is that thread I was looking for....

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...&highlight=lid

+1
    Vince,

The extra weight on the lid does cause the pin to wear out faster! The weight on the lid is no different that an object inside the glove box hitting the lid trying to pop it open in chop! Every time you hit choppy/bumpy water at speed, extra weight on the lid pulls on the lid! With your mod of course you should not worry anymore !

How many hours do you have now? You should be well over 140 I think, am I right?

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Mine broke at 160 hrs, i had an xtra will be doing this mod very soon, thanks for sharing.

+1
    Good point. I have 194 hours in a little over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    Vince,

The extra weight on the lid does cause the pin to wear out faster! The weight on the lid is no different that an object inside the glove box hitting the lid trying to pop it open in chop! Every time you hit choppy/bumpy water at speed, extra weight on the lid pulls on the lid! With your mod of course you should not worry anymore !

How many hours do you have now? You should be well over 140 I think, am I right?

+1
    You ROCK!!! Original Supercharger???
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceC View Post
    Good point. I have 194 hours in a little over a year.

+1
    Yes...New top end 71mph. Going strong. Going to have Jim do 200 hour maintenance for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    You ROCK!!! Original Supercharger???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information