Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

RXP suddenly overheats

I know there's a dozen reasons why I'm overheating, but I'm in a hurry to have the problem solved for Tuesday for tuning with dyno research.

Ski has been flawless for 1.5yrs and suddenly it seems I'm dripping coolant from rideplate bolt. Tightened it, topped off coolant. Run today normal as usual and suddenly it's boiling. Kill it and tow in. Looking for obvious stuff now....

What are some quick/common reasons this would be happening? I'm on the original thermostat and entire coolant system is bone stock with closed loop plate.

Thanks

+1
    by ride plate bolt do you mean the drain plug or one of the bolts that holds the plate together?

+1
    Boiling? Do you mean "pressuring the over flow bottle"?

+1
    Hopefully not a blown head gasket from detonation....

Rideplate drain plug has been dripping, has been tight though. Tightened more (fraction of a turn) before riding today.
    Can't see how that little drip would empty a reservoir bottle.

Overheated and I killed it right away. Popped the seat and the bottle looked empty so I opened the cap to confirm since I have this drip at the plate...right then it boils out of the cap when I cracked it half way open.

Banned User
    +1
    You got an air bubble in the system from the leak, and its trapped in the head...Grab the hose coming off the head down to thermo, and PUMP it while watching the level in the bottle. You can hear/feel the coolant moving, and eventually it will BURP...Fill bottle, repeat...it will suck in all the coolant.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Rideplate drain plug has been dripping, has been tight though. Tightened more (fraction of a turn) before riding today.
    Can't see how that little drip would empty a reservoir bottle.

Overheated and I killed it right away. Popped the seat and the bottle looked empty so I opened the cap to confirm since I have this drip at the plate...right then it boils out of the cap when I cracked it half way open.
    more than likely a blown head gasket bro if its coming out the overflow bottle.. Be very careful to not warp your head..

+1
    i might be agreeing with danny on this one, what i like to do on these is fill the coolant per the service manual with the drain plug out and wait for coolant to come out the back then i plug it as someone is pouring into the tank, i do this all with the cylinder head vent line off so the air bubbles will come out there, once the coolant flows out the head you know you are full

+1
    other than overheating does the ski run ok? no sputtering and idles fine starts up fine? when my gasket when each time i tried to start it almost wouldn't because of coolant fouling the plugs out.... once running the ski ran great still....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    other than overheating does the ski run ok? no sputtering and idles fine starts up fine? when my gasket when each time i tried to start it almost wouldn't because of coolant fouling the plugs out.... once running the ski ran great still....
    The gasket must have had a significant leak for this to be the case. I've had a blown gasket in the past, yet the ski ran flawlessly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information