Replace all rings?

I am rebuilding a 2001 GP1200R. The motor locked up so I was not able to do a compression test. Upon taking the engine apart, I found #2 piston damaged, center crank bearing went out. Ski has 100 hours.

Cylinders and pistons on #1 and #3 look fine. I am planning to re-use them.

Question: Should I replace the piston rings on cylinder #1 and #3? If so, are there any issues with the new rings "mating" with a used cylinder?

In the old days I know you would re-hone the cylinder and then the new rings and the honed cylinder would break in together. I've read that due to the plating, these don't get honed.

Dan

You should not hone these cylinders because they are plated like you mentioned. I would replace all the rings while you are doing the #2 cylinder. I have not had any issues with new rings in older cylinders as long as the cylinder is in good condition. If the cylinder was not in good condition the old rings would not work either.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveard View Post
    You should not hone these cylinders because they are plated like you mentioned. I would replace all the rings while you are doing the #2 cylinder. I have not had any issues with new rings in older cylinders as long as the cylinder is in good condition. If the cylinder was not in good condition the old rings would not work either.
    When I had mine rebuilt (2006 Gp1300r), Jim the plate man did send my cylinders out to be diamond honed. I don;t think it takes much honing but the cylinder was honed. Runs great!

I did my xlt1200 PV last summer. Definitely replace the rings in the other cylinders with no honing. Make sure to follow the new engine break-in procedure in your owners manual word by word. This will give the new rings time to seat properly so dont skip steps or you will be in there again. You should be good to go after that.

Thread Information