Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    +1

Magic Tilt double pwc trailer increase weight capacity?

We have a 10yr old double pwc galvanized Magic Tilt. It's a DWCV1150 which I find hard to believe only has a 1150lb weight limit? We thought about changing out wheels. Currently there are Class B, 12", 4 lug. We thought about a wide, 10" Class C or D but we're not sure if the springs would also need to be changed. I couldn't find them on the current parts list but they appear to be double eye, 2 leaf. See pics--Our skis weigh around 1750lbs together, w/o gas. I was going to call a trailer place but wanted an unbias opinion on what we should do or would need to do to beef up the weight limit some.
    thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer1.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	265695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer2.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	265696  

+1
    My 2 cents. I tried upgrading the capacity of an old double of mine and the part costs with axle, wheel/tires, labor involved did not make sense in my case as I still ended up with an overloaded old trailer. A new double made better sense for me as it tows better on the long trips I take. Didn't want to risk $20k in skis on old trailer and a rigged setup

+1
    We had the same dilema. Like dhoad said, the cost to upgrade doesn't make sense. I contacted Triton about this and was told it's not just this or that component that makes the weight limit, it's materials, welds, etc. It doesn't make sense to take a chance on loosing $10k in skis because you wanted to save some cash. Besides that, what if the trailer falls apart and you injure someone else? That's a big jump from 1150lbs to close to 2000 lbs (fueled up). 30 gallons of fuel, 8lbs a gallon, plus oil if you're not running pre-mix, then there's usually a box on the front for life jackets etc...that's just too much weight.

Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    +1
    I think we're going to be flipping our trailer. I spoke to a trailer dealer who carries Magictilt and he really got me when he said, "you can dump a lot of money into upgrading a lower capacity trailer and what do you have afterwards? a lower capacity trailer with upgrades that it wasn't designed for and you still run the risk of being on the side of the road with $15k+ worth of skis on a trailer with a broken axle" (that did it for me). I called the local dealer and he had a 2500lb galvanized double for $1495. I think I'd rather spend that for a new one rather than $1000 for a 10yr old one that may or may not handle the load.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    The other thing to keep in mind is that in the eye of the law the trailer will never be rated for more than the weight numbers that it was manufactured with. Replacing axles, springs, etc etc etc might increase the actual weight carrying capacity of the trailer, but the DOT and law enforcement (and lawyers, if you see where I'm going) don't care - the GVWR that the trailer was manufactured with will always and forever be the trailers max GVWR.

The only way to change this reality is to go back to the manufacturer and get them to re-rate and re-placard the trailer, something that is highly unlikely any manufacturer would ever do.

You're making a good decision just upgrading.

Thread Information