96 SL700 disconnected battery, reconnected now won't start, wtf

Ski has a brand new fully charged battery, I disconnected it planning to work on it, I ended up reconnecting the battery without doing any maintenance and now it will not start or click or anything. I have the lanyard in place and I have the positive, negative and a ground that I have on the negative side connected. I have also tried pushing the reset button on top of the electrical box as well as opening the box and checking the fuses which I only see one and it's not blown. Im no mechanic and any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    I would check a few things in this order:

-Is the polarity correct? (Yes- continue, No- fix connections)
    -Is there voltage at the fuse box? (Negitive lead on the engine block and the positive lead at the input to the starter solinoid, Yes- Continue, No- clean batttery connections at battery, engine and fuse box.)
    -Is there volatge at the input to the circuit breaker (Yes- continue, No- fix wire).
    -Is there volatge at the output to the circuit breaker (Yes- continue, No- replace circuit breaker).
    -Is there good continuity to the black wire on the starter solinoid? (Yes- continue, No- fix connection)
    -Is there volage at the Y/R wire at the starter solinorid when that starter button is broken? (Yes-Come back and report your findings, No-troubleshoot button issue)

Attached is the wiring diagram for easy reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	1414 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	265748

Ghost,

Thanks for the diagram and the help, looks like I will be grabbing a multimeter and doing some checks, never done that before so it should be fun. I'm still dumbfounded that it wont start after simply disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I've never had any issues with my Seadoo HX doing that....

I'll repost my findings, I'm pretty sure it's something simple and I'm just mechanically dumb.

+1
    Maybe a fuse blew while you disconnected the cables and they touched or hit some metal. Check the e-box for a blown fuse. Also check that the ground wire didn't get burned up internally. Are the connectors on the cables tight and not corroded?

Bowsniper,

I've only seen the one fuse inside the electrical box and it's good. Are there anymore fuses elsewhere? Possibly in the smaller box inside the electrical box? I don't see any corrosion, everything looks extremely clean for its age. How many ground wires should there be? I only have one and I connected it to the negative terminal. Thanks!

+1
    There are no other fuses. If the stator has not been updated, there are two ground wires, the big fat one that goes to the engine block and the small one that goes to the fuse box.

Thanks Ghost, then it's definitely not the fuse, I will pick up a multimeter and get to work tomorrow and reply back as to my findings. Doesn't make any @#$ sense still to disconnect and reconnect a battery and get crickets.... Even pulled the new battery from the Seadoo and tried it as well, both batteries are brand new fully charged and I know the difference between red and black... Think I'll throw a new fuse in it anyways for good measure.

+1
    Fuse will not help...only for the bilge pump.

Thread Information