Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    +1

Cool A decent third party cover?

I've gone through 2, expensive, Yamaha covers in the past 7 years. The first one lasted 5yrs. The last one I bought is about shot now. I keep my ski outside and need something that's going to hold up longer than a couple years. I see Sunbrella and lots of other third party companies tooting their own horns all over the place. Overton's, Ebay, Bart's--I've looked around some. My biggest problem is mold. I had to replace my handlebar cover because of mold that grew through the cover. Now, I realize nothing is waterproof or moldproof. Just trying to get some feedback on what others have experienced. Any brands you can recommend would be great. I do trailer the ski a few times a year so it needs to be able to handle that too. Also, since my ski is a cruiser FXHO, the larger back seat fit is important too so "generic" or "universal" covers I assume won't cut the mustard. I don't mind paying good money for something that's going to last. Just trying to avoid dropping good money on something that won't. Thanks in advance for your suggestions--

+1
    I hear ya with the mold issue. My skis sit outside 6 months a year with the covers on and they last about 5 years. You can prolong the length of the covers and retard the mold growth by washing the covers once a year with a soft brissle brush and some laundry detergent. If you do this, spray on some waterproofing. I've bought this tent waterproofing spray at Dicks before and the stuff works like magic.

I havent tried any generic covers before, but I have looked into getting a new non-yamaha cover for my skis. I really liked the Jettribe ones, but they are expensive and I have no idea how well they protect against mold. Maybe shoot them an email. I have talked to them before via email and they are very very helpful. Hope that helps.

Don't have a cover recommendation, but for the mold problem you might want to consider these mildewcide packets. I've had good results with them on my boat which is stored in an open building. I havent tried it on the ski, since I'm able to keep it in my garage. You could loosen the seats and put one on top of the engine and it should work for the whole ski that is under the cover. http://www.superslickstuff.com/lubri...ildewcide.html

+1
    Those are some good tips. We had a cabin cruiser boat and we used to use those mildew things in the head. Never dawned on me about the ski. I'm not sure about cracking seat though, not sure how well the cover would fit and I'd hate for water to get in the engine compartment because it was open some. Maybe laying it in the footwell (not at the lowest point where water sometimes collects). The tent waterproofing thing is a good idea too. Dicks huh? There's one nearby, might have to check that out. I haven't heard of Jettribe but will check them out. I have tried washing my covers each year. No dice. Seems like once one little spot of mildew gets on it, forget about it ever coming off!

+1
    I always leave the front and rear seat of my FZ cracked under the cover, even when it rains. Never had a drop of water get in the ski. Just make sure you latch them out before you trailer the ski... ask me how I know LOL

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I hear ya with the mold issue. My skis sit outside 6 months a year with the covers on and they last about 5 years. You can prolong the length of the covers and retard the mold growth by washing the covers once a year with a soft brissle brush and some laundry detergent. If you do this, spray on some waterproofing. I've bought this tent waterproofing spray at Dicks before and the stuff works like magic.

I havent tried any generic covers before, but I have looked into getting a new non-yamaha cover for my skis. I really liked the Jettribe ones, but they are expensive and I have no idea how well they protect against mold. Maybe shoot them an email. I have talked to them before via email and they are very very helpful. Hope that helps.
    Just an update-- I went to the lake over the w-end and my Yamaha cover is really shot now. I decided to bite the bullet and ordered one of those $200+ Jettribe covers. When I get it, I will use the Kiwi tent spray and see what happens. If it lasts 2-3 years, I'll be estatic!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by awarrick View Post
    Just an update-- I went to the lake over the w-end and my Yamaha cover is really shot now. I decided to bite the bullet and ordered one of those $200+ Jettribe covers. When I get it, I will use the Kiwi tent spray and see what happens. If it lasts 2-3 years, I'll be estatic!
    I have the Jettribe cover for the Raider, excellent cover. Still have the OEM cover for the FX, since the thing is parked in the garage I don't think the OEM cover will be a problem. BUT, if I were to replace the OEM I would definitely go with a Jettribe cover.

Banned User
    +1
    When I store my skis outside for the winter, I put the covers on them and then put a tarp over the covers. Helps keep the sun from damaging them, and from them getting wet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    When I store my skis outside for the winter, I put the covers on them and then put a tarp over the covers. Helps keep the sun from damaging them, and from them getting wet.
    Yeah, we're going to do that next winter. Since we only have a single trailer, my ski spends the winter on a jet-dock on the lake. My b/f's is newer (and more expensive) so he keeps his on the trailer in the garage for the winter. We've already ordered a double heavy-duty trailer to be delivered in May.

Thread Information