+1

stator coil voltage

Hi all. i have a question. when you measure the stator coil output at the 3 green wires do i set my multi meter to a.c volts or d.c volts. manual says it should read 18.1 volts at 2000 rpm. my problem is i am only getting 12.6 volts d.c to my battery which is what it says on the dash. i have already replaced the rectifier and its still the same so i need to check the staor and pick up coil. any one come across this fault yet. any help would be welcome.

+1
    Stator output is DC volts.

I'm wondering if you're reading the correct values. My service manual gives very different values for stator voltage peak output.
    Are you sure you're not confusing pickup coil output ([email protected] rpm - loaded) w/ stator output (42.7v @ 2k rpm - unloaded)?

According to my manual, there are 4 specific Yamaha test harnesses required to run those diagnostics.

Pickup Coil requires: Test harness (3 pin)s: YB-06877 & Test harness HM090-3 (3 pins): 90890-06877
    Stator requires: Test harness (3 pin)s: YB-06870 & Test Harness SMT250-3 (3 pins): 90890-06870

Have never run those tests, so I'm uncertain if there's work-arounds if you don't have access to harnesses

+1
    the stator puts out kind of a square waveform of a.c. a regular multi meter gets confused when it sees this waveform.that is why the special diagnostic harness is used.the d.c. voltage is produced in the regulator/rectifier.thier is a way to check the stator it is a ohm test but values are verry low.it also will not tell you if you have weak magnets on the flywheel.if you have a ossiloscope and a load pyle tester you will be able to see what the stator is doing.the scope will show you the true voltage of the waveform.just had this problem on a outboard same charge sustem turned out to be bad flywheel magnets.check each pin of the stator output to ground the ohm reading should read open.anotherwords make shore the stator is not shorted to ground on any pin.

+1
    ok thanks i'll test that to ground. dont fancy pulling the engine out if its a magnet for instance.

have you checked battery voltage ? load test the battery

+1
    it is a new battery thats the first thing i did. i have checked resiatance on the 3 green wires of the stator and it is 0.4 ohms on each. looks like its going to ground. it charges but only at approx 12.6 volts.

Thread Information