Can't find proper procedure to clean stock Kehin CV carbs. Ultra 150 Need advice!!

I have searched and searched for this topic and can't find anything that details what needs to be done to properly clean the carbs. I don't want to gum up any passageways or have issues afterwards. If you have cleaned your carbs with good results, please post how you did it. I heard to soak the entire assembly in mineral spirits then use WD-40 upon re assembly. There is something about soaking the rack of carbs that makes me uneasy. The carbs are from an 03 so the paint on the outside of the carbs is flaking off a bit and I don't want that getting into any passageways. I have opened all compartments carefully and all the diaphragms are in good shape. Any help is tremendously appreciated.

Best way to clean carbs is to completely dissassemble them and soak everything in a good carb cleaner. Then rinse with water and use an air compressor with needle blower nozzle to thoroughly blow out all the little passages. Reassemble with new gaskets, diaphrams etc, reset to factory settings and they should be good to go. Be forewarned, carb dip is a caustic mixture and will take all of the paint off the carbs.

I use sea foam to soak my carbs, they come out spotless. You want the paint to come off since I hope you would respray them before reinstalling

+1
    Carb dip will not only take the paint off your carbs, it will also eat away springs and brass jets if you leave them in too long. Generally, soaking for an hour or two is enough. Do NOT soak rubber parts, either. Do NOT use WD-40 on your carburetors! It will gum them up. In fact, I'm not really sure of ANY purpose for that crap.

Appreciate the feedback guys. Let me make sure I have this right. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Completely disassemble the carbs removing all the rubber pieces, jets, springs, seats, covers, etc.

Soak the Carb rack with the 3 carbs in a carb cleaning solvent or sea foam for 1-2 hours along with all the metal pieces, jets, etc. Do not soak rubber pieces as they will swell.

Remove carbs and jets from solution and blow compressed air through all passages to clear them.

Reassemble using carb cleaner and not WD-40?

+1
    Rinse the cleaner off with water, then blow it out with air. Blow water out through the throttle shaft and choke shaft bushings, too.

The carbs should be assembled dry. There is no place for WD-40 in a JetSki.

Understood. Thanks again. There has been big debate about using WD-40 on Jet Ski's forever. Lots of people say dont use it as it makes rubber swell and others say its great for anti corrosion. Even Steve from Skiworx got involved and says he uses it on everything he builds. WD-40 has always been a big debate. I personally use CRC in the engine bay.

+1
    CRC, Fluid Film, BoeShield, etc. are all great products.

WD-40 is a Water Dispersant, originally designed to displace water from electrical equipment. It is NOT a lubricant, which is what a lot of people use it for. It forms gum after a while. If you've got water in the electrical stuff on your 'Ski, dry it with a hair dryer and seal it up.

I still have my original can of WE-40. It's over 30 years old. Want it???

Thread Information