Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Just have to ask????

Hello fellow pwc fisherman! Maybe this is a strange question to ask for some but I feel the need to do so. I currently fish inshore waters but am in the slow process of gearing up to go where my heart is and that is offshore. We all know how quick mother nature turns on us and for the people who fish offshore, we all know what it's like out there. My question is....say a brutal storm happens to come upon you while your on your ski. Say you happen to be broken down; so your adrift and a huge swell knocks you off of your ski. What are the chances of you being able to retrieve your ski in the massive swells? It may not be has hard as I am imagining it would be in those currents of the waves but I just have to ask. I'm sure if someone on here is in the coast guard they could answer this question.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

+1
    If you fell of in windy conditions you could easily be separated from your ski and not be able to get back to it. Carry an epirb and a spot gps tracker. Dress for the weather and expect the worst. Always buddy boat if you are going offshore.

+1
    Down below is the answer I got from Shawn Alladio from K-38.
    Last edited by bowsniper; 03-08-2012 at 05:09 PM.

+1
    Wow, what great responses to my question! This is why I love this forum! Thank you so much for your replies! It really helps me out alot reading this! I thought about some sort of rope attached to me but then realized how dangerous that could be if i was knocked off while cruising. Now I'm thinking of some sort of strong "bungee" type cord which if I was knocked off for some reason while cruising it wouldn't rip me apart. Something with resistance.

Banned User
    +1
    Take a look a this and stuff you should carry on you. Safety gear or survival gear does no good if you cant get to it. Your best measure of safety is never ride alone

http://www.socalwatercraftclub.com/f...ad.php?p=30150

+1
    Hey Tim, good to see you posting up... it's been a while and hopefully we'll get to make a trip together. I can't seem to get out as much as I'd like, but when I do - I'm usually by myself. Although I'm not going off shore, I don't relish the thought of spending the night in the marsh w/only the skeeters and gators to keep me company. That being said, I never make a trip w/o "filing" a float plan: I always tell my wife when & where I'll be launching/fishing from. Then I let either my father or another forum member here on the 'hulk know the same info. They know if I've not called in by X o'clock that something is wrong. A float plan is the cheapest form of insurance when you're by yourself - but generally speaking, don't go out by yourself.

Best of luck and throw some fishing reports up on the board for us!

+1
    Tom, fantastic question. This is complicated. I asked Shawn Alladio---founder of K-38 recuse and this what she said..

I would suggest wearing a float coat first (weather/temp inclined). Tying off on a line is not a great idea if the PWC is anchored, not so bad, if its idling and trolling very dangerous...if the PWC continues they may not have the strength to pull themselves back to the craft underway. Best measure is not to boat alone. but I would suggest they buy a PLRB, register it, have a marine radio, compass/gps on their lifejacket with 3 handheld flares. That's what i do. Won't be of any use in the PWC

As she states along with what I was saying,, a line tied off isnt the greatest idea..

+1
    I can't thank you guys enough! This is a tremendous help!

83gator, I've been doing pretty good on specs in the M.R.G.O by lake borgne. Because of my work schedule my trips have been spontaneous. We need to just set up a Saturday or Sunday and just shoot for it. Let me know what's good for you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 504tim View Post
    I can't thank you guys enough! This is a tremendous help!

83gator, I've been doing pretty good on specs in the M.R.G.O by lake borgne. Because of my work schedule my trips have been spontaneous. We need to just set up a Saturday or Sunday and just shoot for it. Let me know what's good for you.
    Thanks, Tim - it will be soon (hopefully)...

Another question along the same line... does anyone have a recomendation or preferrably a link for a life jacket that is 1) ok for use on a PWC and 2) has pockets or some other means to attach the mentioned safety equipment (vhf radio, compass, flares). All of the vests I've found are for kayaking or fishing. I don't get the warm fuzzy that they would stay intact in the event of a highspeed "dismount". I've almost come to the conclusion that a small camelback with pockets on top of the life jacket may be a better alternative.
    -Brad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information