Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Best PWC anchor?

Hi there

I just bougth this anchor for my STF15F

Usually i use my ski on choppy water, so i need to know if this is the best anchor for me, or i need to change it for this one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51p-VqTKnPL._SS500_.jpg 
Views:	1274 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	282440

(sorry for my english)

Last edited by K447; 09-07-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Thread title typo, missing image, hope nobody minds the change

+1
    The first one will work better with a rocky bottom. It will work in sand but you have to kick it in with your foot to get it to hold. I had the exact same one & usually had to find a rock to help hold it if the water was rough or in heavy current. It held up for about a year before the pins that hold it together rusted out & the anchor fell apart. The nice part about it is it folds up real compact & doesn't take up lots of storage room. I ended up keeping the bag & line & replaced the anchor with one that works better(pic below). It's a similar design but you can just toss it out & it will set itself in the sand because of the sharper spikes, which is nice if the water is cold & you don't want to get wet.

The second one in your post should hold better in sand, but I've never tried that one & can't tell you how well it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg 
Views:	3041 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	266007  

Banned User
    +1
    I've tried both of the ones you have shown in the pictures, and they're both junk!! I live/ride on Lake Havasu/Colorado river, and it's all sandy bottom. Neither of those could hold my RXT-X in any kind of current, no matter how deep I buried them. I couldn't find rocks to wedge them into.
    Ended up with a bag, filled with rocks from the shoreline-but even that gets dragged down river.
    I bought both of those anchors from West Marine, and returned both.

A lot will depend on where you anchor. In sand/silt-your best bet is to get one of those corkscrew dog leash spikes from a pet store(they're stainless steel), drill it into the bottom and attach to that.

Also remember that whatever you have, needs to be very secured in the storage compartment, otherwise it will beat the hell out of the inside of your boat.

Another trick I use is to tie the boat from the front to a tree on shore, and the back, to another tree-that way it's "anchored", but still floating and not beached.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Guys, check out these.

http://cooperanchors.com.au/

No one in Aus uses the "claw" type anchors anymore. The Cooper's anchor is so much better.

Cheers, Mal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    Guys, check out these.

No one in Aus uses the "claw" type anchors anymore. The Cooper's anchor is so much better.

Cheers, Mal.
    Yep even with only rope and no chain they set themselves
    I have about 3 meters of rope on mine

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    Guys, check out these.

Cheers, Mal.
    That looks pretty good...nice & small too. I noticed they don't ship to individual overseas customers though, & didn't see any US distributors on their international page. Just sent them an email to find out how I can order.

vendor- group buy ?

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    That looks pretty good...nice & small too. I noticed they don't ship to individual overseas customers though, & didn't see any US distributors on their international page. Just sent them an email to find out how I can order.
    It would be nice if we could get a vendor to bring some over, maybe even a group buy

+1
    i actually lost my favorite one at a race site . 15# rubber coated anchor that I describe as a bell on a plate if you will. It even worked awesome on wavy Lake Michigan days.

I have used both types pictured above and also bag anchor.
    It's not like we anchor in heavy surf. In tidal bays a sand or rock bag anchor works just as good as any other. Bags take up less space and no worries about banging around etc.
    the purple one above has that coating that wears away after a few good uses and then it rusts.

Duration of mooring, water depth, and water type should determine length of anchor line. To often you see a rider using a 6 foot anchor line in 4 feet of water and the rider blaming the shitty anchor.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    That's the good thing about the coopers. It's Nylon with some lead or steel in the tip. At first I thought no way will this hold my 300x, but it does it easy.

I hope you guys can find a way to get them over there.

Cheers, Mal.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information