+1

New To Sea Doo: I have questions.

Hello all. Let me first say that I have been part of many different forums from paintball to motorcycles and so on yet rarely come across forums as professional and informative as this one. I am young, still in college, but have a fair amount of money to invest in toys because I have a business sense that has allowed me to make decent amounts of money.

I have sold a few motorcycles over the winter and decided I would like to put the money I've made towards a jet ski for the summer. I feel as though I will be able to get a large amount of use out of a ski this summer and I have though about trailering it to different locations around the Northeast. I have been doing a lot of searching, reading, and self-educating as I've read through threads on this forum and all over the internet. I have helped narrow down what I would be looking for in my first PWC but I still have questions.

Basically, I know I want a four stroke. I have found a 2005 RXP (100 hours and metal washers) with a trailer for $5,000. I understand that Sea Doo recommends a full supercharger rebuild every 100 hours but I would like to know what exactly that entails. Is it as simple as changing the bearings? I am somewhat technical after working on high-end paintball guns and then motorcycles. Is this something I would be able to do myself? I want a ski that I will not get bored of after limited use, so I would prefer something that performs above average.

Thank you for your help.

+1
    Supercharger rebuild replaces pretty much everything but the housing http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=763

If you have access to a press and buy the seadoo tools needed you can rebuild it yourself.

Otherwise pull the charger out, send it to gerry - he will rebuild it for a very modest fee and send it back.

+1
    In general, a supercharger rebuild would be $338 (parts) plus labor (Gerry)?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    First before you get in to buying a ski you need to look at what you want out of a ski (top speed, rough water handling, long distance cruising, 93 octane or 87 octane...etc) and what conditions (ocean, smooth lakes, rough weekend lakes, rivers or glass conditions) you will be riding in most of the time....that should dictate what make or model of ski you get.....

And BTW way....Welcome to the Forum.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    First before you get in to buying a ski you need to look at what you want out of a ski (top speed, rough water handling, long distance cruising, 93 octane or 87 octane...etc) and what conditions (ocean, smooth lakes, rough weekend lakes, rivers or glass conditions) you will be riding in most of the time....that should dictate what make or model of ski you get.....

And BTW way....Welcome to the Forum.....
    Good point. I would say I'm interested in top speed, rough water handling, and I'm not too picky about octane. I run 93 in my 2009 GSXR 750 but I also get much better gas mileage than a ski would. Do the superchargers require 93 octane? I will mostly operate the ski in smooth lakes and rough weekend lakes but would like to put it in the ocean a time or two. Am I wrong in considering the RXP? Thanks!

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

+1
    I think you would be very happy with an RXP, but the best way to know if it will be right for you is to ride one. The riding conditions that you describe are similar to what I ride in and I'm very happy with my RXP. Some people (myself included) really like the way that an RXP rides and handles, but others will swear by another brand. It's all a matter of personal preference. They don't make many bad ski's anymore, just ones that are better at different things.

+1
    Id say go with an RXP. IDK how much money you have to spend but if you can get the ski for $4500 use the extra $500 to get your SC rebuilt. And begin saving up for new valves as you may want those in the future because the sodium filled valves are prone to breaking. Oh and you could always get a14/19R out of the classifieds section. Obviously we could go on and on about mods to make it faster...

+1
    I like the RXT. Rides better and carries more. 73 is plenty fast.

+1
    If i only had one ski it would be an RXT-X. Smooth water RXP, ruff water RXT-X

Thread Information