96 XP Electrical issue

I have a 96 XP that when I plug in the kill cord it beeps twice. When I hit the start button I hear a click from up front, like a relay clicking, the motor doesn't do anything. The gauges do not light up. I put a starter relay in last year. The starter is newer. Is the computer fried? I hope not. All fuses look good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Pooner

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    bad battery or bad ground. take a pair of jumper cables from the battery to a clean metal source on the engine. see if it cranks over. have you jumped it from a running car or a battery charger? if yes you need a new MPEM

+1
    Try putting the key on the dess post, then put one hand on the starter and hit the start button and see if the ticking/click is coming from it. If so, you need a different starter. I hope you didn't use a cheap after market one like the ones you see on eBay. those things don't last very long at all.

dont use jumper cables hooked up to the car battery. you will fry the mpem

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by murjiim View Post
    dont use jumper cables hooked up to the car battery. you will fry the mpem
    you can...just make sure the car is not running. its the alternating current that fries mpems

If you have a mulitimeter test your switch and follow it back to your electrical box. Use a jumper box or your car battery, but just like airbornexp said, DO NOT LET IT BE RUNNING! Not good on mpem. Check all your grounds, especially the starter. That was my problem. My starter was so corroded, there was no ground. Inspect all your grounds and make sure you aren't grounding somewhere you dont need to be.

Well I checked grounds. All good. I unplugged Electrical box to check connections. All good. I used my jumper pack to through power to it. Not a booster pack. Just like hooking a battery to it. Now I have a different problem. No beeps when I plug in the kill cord. I do here a couple of relays click. No response on the start switch. I am getting frustrated. Any help?

Thread Information