Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Feed back needed on clutch failures for provision for stock class FZR in IJSBA

I have asked for a provision in racing stock class for the YAMAHA 1.8L SHO Engine like the one in my 2009 FZ.

I personally have had 4 failures with clutches over the passed 2 years of riding and racing my machine.

First failure was at a race site during practice first original (pre-2011) clutch let go. (one)

clutch replace under warranty with (pre-2011 clutch)only 17 hours on machine clutch started to fail sprague bound replaced clutch assy(2 spare). after 5 hours (three) lasted rest of season through September 2010. At the 2010 world finals 2011 clutch was purchased(four) (supposed to be be the holy grail of fixes)and installed as precaution to avoid failures during that week.
    2011 clutch failed catastrophically spring early May. see post of earlier in the year. 2011 clutch issue teething if you will

Engine removed , all teeth recovered and engine re installed. (power loss detected) Power loss found cylinder damage re honed and crank up rebuild occurred. New 2011 clutch installed all teeth were sheared off again and it is now writing inline at shop to be overhauled and cleaned out one more time. Number (four) coming out and clutch (five) going in with spare also needing a replacement now as well.

the machine only has 36 hours on it if that. It has cost me an entire world finals of 2011 and 4 regional championships. paid never got to race plus the expense of going to Arizona and then struggling to ready the boat to race and then clutch failed just as i was working through other issues. Worst non race ever.

I would like to be able to have at rider discretion the opportunity to buy and install and of the three to four current choices out there to " harden" up this Achilles heel. The parts do not change performance they just enhance reliability. giving more racers a chance to race or finish races in running condition. That is my 2 cents. I would like yours as well.

Stock class racing is supposed to be the lowest cost racing isn't it? However OEM blew it with bad specs on both occasions on all clutch assemblies as far as I am concerned. the money the downtime and the waiting. we should be allowed if we choose to replace parts that will enhance durability ans well as rider safety such as in handling mods.

(no particular order)

any s/c shaft with heavy duty bearing (riva, Race tech, R&D, Rotax)

Race tech Billet S/c housing with stock impeller

R&D Super clutch

Riva Racing Dampener Gear

Rotax racing aux clutch set up

Thanks in advance ,

Kevin

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Your not riding it hard enough! LOL, I don't race but agree with you on the rules..........rules suck! as long as boost is not increased I dont see why it would be a problem

+1
    lol i love the OBX . are there riders out there. I try and vacation annually out there with my wife..

+1
    Originally Posted by Green Hulk
    "I took a few pics of the new Riva dampener and supercharger shaft system for you guys while I was at World Finals. Very quality looking pieces. I also had a chance to talk with Dean of "Dean's Team" at length about this new dampener. Dean's been running it since last year and has not broken a single clutch."
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=165065&page=5

+1
    tharts a lot of clutches for only 36 hours racing or not that doesn't sound right to me.

+1
    CC racing is brutally hard on clutches

+1
    I am on #3.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Yes there is riders out here.........

+1

Run an aftermarket shaft and dampener, and possibly R&D clutch for the season. Then if you go to the worlds run a legal one there. What are the odds of being torn down at a regional event.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information