Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

Question 1200 Homemade Intake System

Alright everyone, I was looking into my engine compartment & I was thinking about how I can make my ski breath better. I read a thread that was placed a couple days ago & it really made me think. So I drew this little diagram to see what u would think. I would remove the stock air cleaner & leave the carburator cover empty. I would purchase a K&N Airfilter & I would need several cuts of PVC pipes. 90 degree pipes & str8 pipes. The main goal would be to get the filter as close to the hull opening as possible but not under it directly. Take a look & tell me what u guys think.

Its a good Idea, just keep in mind that every 90 degree elbow is equal to 6 feet of pvc as far as air flow. so three 90s would be equal to 18ft of pipe.

Will it matter, maybe not. Just food for thought. With ATVs alot of guys make snorkles so they can run under deep water. When they do this they have to lean the carbs way out due to the drop in air flow. Less air and less fuel usually means less power. If you proceed just try to keep it as straight as possible.

I have the Riva Race setup and it works great. I think something like this could be over kill maybe? Run it with the seat off and then with the seat on with a simple filter setup and see if you notice a difference.

+1
    The GPR's have 4" hull inlets. Just get a couple of 4" blowers, hook them up inline and let it blow somewhere in the hull and leave everything else the same. You'll get air without sucking water in your engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 048.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	14255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xxx.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	14256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 044.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	14257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 046.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	14258  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by CrazyA; 01-12-2007 at 06:47 AM.

+1
    To be honest, you're wasting your time. You can achieve the same results (fresh air to the carbs) with holes in the bucket and holes in the seat. Can't hurt to try, but I've already tried something similar with a "ram air" setup and it did absolutely nothing.

Alrighty.... definatley alot of food for thought. Now please note that what I did was a rough draft last night at about 2:00am half asleep. Thiorning I thought about it & I wouldn't really use these 90 deg. elbows. I would only need 2 45 deg elbows & make 2 slight curves but if u guys are telling me that it barely improves power or doesn't improve power at all then I may just leave it stock & thats that.
    Reality is, I would not only have to purchase & measure all these pipes but I would have to remove almost the entire exhaust system only to gain what? .00000005 hp? Maybe it's not worth it then. Does anyone disagree?

"CrazyA"??? Where can I get those? West Marine? Overtons? where?

+1
    Here's what I did. I bought another air inlet (Like is beside the CDI, and under the hood plastic on the right side), more air tubing, and found a good spot for it. I went from 2 to 3 inlets, and might add one more. Holes in the bucket don't help if the hood is sealing it off the way it shoulb be; you have to create a gap to let air in, but then you are taking a risk with water ingestion. It's a cheap mod too, and easy to install with a Dremel tool.

Thanks for the links. I just saved them on my pc. I've already put my brain to work on how I can make this work right. That inlet right under the seat is a 3 inch inlet... I need to get a PVC reducer pipe that converts from 3" to 4". & I can install one on the forward inlet too. This forces all the incoming air to go out through the engine. No other way to go. I think this would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post

+1
    always wanted to use one of these for something!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81208p[1].jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	14278  
    Last edited by r33pwrd; 01-12-2007 at 05:05 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information