+1

closed course custom seat question....

I'm looking for some closed course racers opinion on a custom seat...

I have severe rhumatoid arthritis in both my knees to the point they have been in need of replacement for the past 5 yrs or so (already had the hips replaced at 24). Obviously I don't want to take a whole year off to recover, so I have been dealing with the pain and taking various meds to get by. My problem in cc racing is that I'm 6'1 and the seat height of my ultra vs my long legs that only bend to about 90 degrees does not allow me to lean into the foot wells during hard cornering, thus making me ride "on top" of the ski. Needless to say riding on top of the ski wears you out really fast due to the g-forces in the turns. I would like to add about 6 inches or so to the seat height to allow me to bend my knees more into the footwells. My concern is that the extra height will really affect the center of gravity making it top heavy, so to speak. Thoughts on this and who can make the seat? First race of the year for me is end of May.

Thanks,

+1
    First of all, I think that you are awesome cc racing in your degree of pain.

Jettrim will make a seat that will support a jellyfish if it had to happen.

I suggest a pointy seat like Fischetti pioneered.

ps. never drop the knee.

Banned User
    +1
    what class do you race in? some class's wont let you add 1" of foam to the seat unfortunately. you can have a 4000$ ecu but cant touch the seat though....

back on topic though like was said before, jettrim or hydroturf can do that for ya!

+1
    Thanks guys. I'll call jettrim. I race in 4stroke stock amateur. I guess if it's too much of a mod for stock class, they can put me in limited. Just tired of doing it the hard way. Any thoughts on the height affecting the center of gravity, or think it will be neglibible?

Banned User
    +1
    adding 6" seems like a LOT but if you can tuck that knee down and hold on with that inner thigh and actually be comfortable, im sure you'll get used to however it may affect the ski.

Banned User
    +1
    Won't affect the center of gravity more then standing. But you will be using your core allot more to maneuver

+1
    I Dont know how big of a difference 6'1 is to 5"11. But thats where Im at I have no problem tucking a knee into the footwell like MikeH said. Id do that before I put a 6" riser on my seat though. That seems like a VERY high center of gravity. BTW stock class you can only manipulate the stock foam +/- 0.5", Limited you can do whatever the hell you want to your seat.

+1
    I think you missed the part where I can't bend my knees past 90 degrees (bone on bone), couple that with the height of my tib/fib, and I can't get my knee into the footwell. By increasing the seat height it allows my leg/knee to go further into the footwell. 6" might be extreme, but I'll bet it's alot. I'm going to do some figuring and see what I come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by FullTilt429 View Post
    I Dont know how big of a difference 6'1 is to 5"11. But thats where Im at I have no problem tucking a knee into the footwell like MikeH said. Id do that before I put a 6" riser on my seat though. That seems like a VERY high center of gravity. BTW stock class you can only manipulate the stock foam +/- 0.5", Limited you can do whatever the hell you want to your seat.

+1
    Yup i did miss that part, my bad. Let me know what ya come up with. Im just interested in seeing how it works.

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    A glass guy could make footwells that drain when underway or when out of the water. I could certainly make them that looked OEM. Others near you could, likewise. Make it slope down into a three or four inch well gradually for about thirty inches and most people would not even be able to tell other than that it would be under the waterline when heeled over. I think the 300 has nothing but a stiffener/floatation chamber where your feet go. Find out if race committee will give you a varience. It'll make it a better ski anyway (lower COG), other than the wet feet. There's some of your needed six inches. IMO, you wouldn't want to gain all six there.

Thread Information