Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Wear ring and pump oil questions...

Any good DIY ? I did search and didn't come up with much..

its a GSXL 951

The wear ring has not been done since the new motor which is out now being rebuilt ... I'm not sure how to check if it's actually "bad" but I feel like i checked it out before and it could use replacement...I feel like the ski wasn't going at 100% power

Also isn't there some other parts or bearings that should all be replaced in this proccess?

Sorry if I sound a little all over the place, ski is in winter storage and I'm just thinking about it now for the first time in a few months...I'm gonna go pick it up tommorow since its pretty much been spring here for weeks now...

Motor is out with only 10 hours on it getting a top end rebuild so I figured I should do some other small things as well..

Also I'd like to change the pump oil...is there a filter for this as well? Any good write ups?

Thanks

+1
    What happened after 10 hours that you need a top end?

+1
    Oil pump failure ?..the seal on the main line that comes out of the oil tank gave way I'm pretty sure...
    The pto cyl wasn't getting oil...the lines had oil but I think the gasket seal thing was leaking and it wasn't getting enough..needs a piston ring and bore job..

Long story short..
    Rode one day it was fine...did some big hard landing jumps, rode home fine..next day after a warm up and 5 min ride it shut off...restared but shut off again... Buddy towed me to beach, changed plugs cus one looked wet..ran good for a lil bit them kept shutting off at wot, low oil light came on, it was sucking up oil extremely fast..it started and then stalled again several times then finally it just shut down..sat for a week, and then there was oil in bottom of hull...tore it down and found the rave valves to be pretty clean and the pto cyl shot..
    Maybe the seal came loose, leaked slowly, then leaked faster...? I'm not 100% sure...six cus its a new motor ($2,500) form dealer, not SBT ...motors out now, gonna send top end out to get done, and switch over to premix ...wanted to spruce up whatever I didn't last year ...never did wear ring, prop, pump oil, not sure what else....motor is new, starter was new, did all grey fuel lines, oil lines, cleaned carbs, etc...

+1
    Here's some pics I took today..ughh hate what salt does..prop deffintly looks like its seen some rocks..the clearance looks very tight to me...when I spin it by hand (one full rotation) at one point I hear a noise that sounds like the prop is touching the wear ring...? Its a very faint scraping sound that I can slightly hear and feel...Im thnking maybe I can hose it out and spray it down with fluid film just to make sure it not like a piece of sand or it just being a little noisy because it has been sitting for 6 months...I'm assuming if it's hitting at all I need a new ring..? And if I put in a new ring and don't address the prop it will obviusly happened again rather quickly...? Can the prop be filed back smooth at a shop or does it look like it must be replaced? Any other thing you see from the pics..? Anything I can coat the driveshaft with to prevent rust? The white ring in pic is just some salt corrosion that's looking extra bright because of the flash...

+1
    thats all rust in your drive shaft and impeller..you ride in salt water?you flush and wash your ski after you ride?and i think you need to have your impellers re-done and its surely does need a new wear ring.and dont for get to align your drive shaft from engine to pump.

+1
    Yes, the salt water kills stuff, it sucks....and yes I wash and spray down EVERYTHING before and after rides..
    Can you elaborate on the alligning of the driveshaft please...?

+1
    Oil pump failure On sea Doos are very very rare. I have never come across one. Did you adjust the oil pump correctly when you re did the engine?

+1
    That's what I have heard...but I do think it was possibly the seal on the tank at the hose and not the pump..but I still am not completely sure..I didn't do the motor, I had someone else do it...what adjustments are needed? It ran great 5-10 times I had it out

+1
    Oil pump needs to be adjusted correctly at idle. Theres 2 lines that need to line up. One on the pump and one on the cable wheel.

+1
    Redo your impeller before you install a new wear ring. Also check the bearings by spinning the jet pump shaft and feeling for play or tightness.

Lightly sand your drive shaft and remove the rust and spray it with a silver rustoleum.

Jet pump oil is only located in the bearing area of the jet pump I believe, I don't think it has a filter. There isn't much to it besides removing the cone, emptying the oil, rinsing it out with WD-40 while spinning it, install the cone, removing the small bolt on the cone and inserting more oil. I am not exactly sure how much you need to put in though. Remember to torque the cone to specific manual standards or you'll have water in the pump.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information