Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

the great walbro fuel pump relay debate! rpxp 260

ok so i decided since the cost of a relay and harness was only 10 bucks or so that i would put one in my new px just for a little piece of mind, what i found made me glad that i did it.

first thing is, if anyone decides to put one in there new rxpx 260 you MUST switch the relay with the ground side of the coil, if you ground the relay and use the switched 12 volt signal it for some reason will keep the relay live and drain the battery, i haven't been able to understand why this is but i tried several different switch power points in the harness and i got the same result with all of them, the ski will eventually cut main power to the ecu and go to sleep you could say, but if you have the relay for the fuel pump switched by a 12 volt positive for some reason it must back feed into the seadoo harness and keep the ecu awake, so make sure you switch ground otherwise you ski battery will be dead.

fast forward past the headache i got from trying to figure out the harness thing, once i hooked up the relay and tested it you had physically hear the pump speed increase when you plug in the relay, i tested with a meter and the voltage does not change with or without the relay, but you can audibly hear the pump speed increase, that tells me the stock setup cannot give the walbro what it needs, now maybe it goes it enough to run fine and be ok but i am not willing to find out, pretty cheap insurance if you ask me,

back to my wiring issue, it could have been my fault anyway that it was back feeding when using a positive trigger, instead of cutting the wire in the fuel pump harness i decided to piggyback it in so i wasn't cutting any factory wiring, so basically the pump is getting power from the ecu and also from my hardwired relay,
    i wanted to share what i found, in case anyone is on the fence about running a relay with a walbro.

im not saying your ski will blow up if you don't do it but 20 bucks and a few hours is pretty cheap insurance

+1
    From my understanding, the relay isn't needed unless your ski throws a fault code. BeerDart gave me this useful piece of advice last year when I changed my pump out. Very rarely do the pumps throw the code, but they sometimes do. If they do, then you need a relay to supplement the power. I understand your point about spending the 20 bucks to be "safe". But safe is a relative term. I have not heard of skis blowing up because there was no relay used. I prefer to keep things simple usually!

+1
    ya ill never know if it throws a code, i still haven't even had the ski in the water yet. i just wanted to put it out there that the walbro won't perform at its max without a relay,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoo02xp View Post
    ya ill never know if it throws a code, i still haven't even had the ski in the water yet. i just wanted to put it out there that the walbro won't perform at its max without a relay,
    IMO a relay has no effect on performance.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FuelPumpWiring.jpg 
Views:	5448 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	266073

Is the diagram in the picture what you did?

I have a walbro on my 2010 X 260 and have it plugged into the stock harness and have had ZERO issues.

I am having a hard time understanding the purpose of this relay setup that some have used! Can someone EXPLAIN to me what the added benefits of this setup is and what is the purpose of the relay configuration?

+1
    the colors of the wires in that picture do not match the wires on the new rxpx, its not a performance enhancing mod or anything like that, a few people claim that the stock wiring cannot supply the walbro with the amperage it needs to run to its potential, the diagram you show would work but i personally decided not to cut the factory harness, circuit 87 which is power out from the relay does go to the fuel pump but it is piggy backed into the factory harness, so all the factory wiring is still present just an extra power wire is added right at the fuel pump connector, the ground for the fuel pump is going through the ecu, which is actually how the pump is activated, power is constant at all times until the ski goes to sleep, the ecu monitors ground amperage and if it sees something wrong it may or may not set a fault code, basically all i am doing is adding a more beefed up power wire to the walbro, some people disagree and say it isn't needed and maybe they are right but just hearing the sound of the pump sold me, you can audibly hear the pump speed increase when the relay is activated, and the voltage is the same so that tells me the factory wiring cannot provide the correct amount of amperage for the walbro, i am not claiming any performance enhancements, just what i personally found installing it, the way my relay is activated is by the switched ground for the main power relay for the ski, i tapped into the switched ground signal going to the relay that comes from the ecu, so my circuit 86 is going directly to fused 12 positive and my circuit 85 is going to a switched ground from the ecu, you can activate a relay either way. it may or may not be needed but it was cheap and it can't hurt anything imo

SC on water, TT on land
    What gauge is the factory harness (for RXP and RXP-X skis) and how much current does the walbro pump pull? Since there seems to be a debate, we can look determine whether or not the OEM harness needs to be bypassed. An 18 AWG wire can use a maximum of up to 16 amps and a 16 AWG wire can hold a maximum of 22 amps when configured as chasis wiring.

+1
    the issue i see is that the voltage goes through the ecu so that could be where the amperage is limited, i have been running a piggy back relay to the fuel pump relay now for 20 hours on my rxpx 260, maybe i need it maybe i don't but i have never had any fault codes like some have seen with a walbro and no relay, not really expensive to do, to each is own i guess, from my experience in the auto field we have seen a lot of electrical issues when power or found comes out of control units, the voltage will be correct but the amperage won't be enough to power whatever components it is connected to, the rxpx fuel pump is set up this way so i put the real in

SC on water, TT on land
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoo02xp View Post
    the issue i see is that the voltage goes through the ecu so that could be where the amperage is limited, i have been running a piggy back relay to the fuel pump relay now for 20 hours on my rxpx 260, maybe i need it maybe i don't but i have never had any fault codes like some have seen with a walbro and no relay, not really expensive to do, to each is own i guess, from my experience in the auto field we have seen a lot of electrical issues when power or found comes out of control units, the voltage will be correct but the amperage won't be enough to power whatever components it is connected to, the rxpx fuel pump is set up this way so i put the real in
    How exactly do you piggyback? And how exactly do you run the wire into the gas tank?

+1
    Installed a Walbro in both my 2010 RXTX & 2012 RXPX with no relay and no issues. I suggest keeping it simple unless you are having a problem. Just my 02.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information