2000 GTX fuel line replacement questions

Planning to replace my fuel lines and have a few questions:
    1 - according to the shop manual it looks like the fuel lines all go in through the top of the tank so it appears this can be done with a full tank... is that correct (it is Winter here and cannot look at it)?
    2 - does anyone pressure test after replacing the fuel lines and if so how do you go about doing that (without having the tools specified in the manual)?
    3 - reading through the sticky on this it looked like for the 951 there are different recommendations on the size of fuel lines needed. what are the size(s) and if more than one which goes where?

Thanks

you will need 2 sizes, for a 951 you need 5’ of ľ” and 15’ of 5/16”. You will know which goes where by taking out a line, looking at the size and cutting the same sized fuel line to length, that way you won't get lost and everything will be the correct length, it will also give you a better chance of routing the hoses the right way

yes it can be done with a full tank, I didn't worry about pressure testing just make sure all your clamps are done up tight, were a tight fit and can't be pulled off. After you start it up look/feel for leaks at the connections. It's not under much pressure as opposed to a fuel injected motor

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    +1, also, you can drop the carbs without taking out the exhaust. just have to work without looking. dont forget to hook the pulse line back up when you are done. first hing most over look. while you have the carbs out are you planning on rebuilding them? Personally I would if your going have them out anyway. also replace the needle and seats. that is something else that most over look. also, clean the carb screens that are inside the carbs with some carb cleaner and a q-tip.

Thanks for the info.

I would like to clean the carbs when I do this (it bogs when quickly going to full throttle) but I really want to touch as little as possible with the carbs so as not to make it worse. My preference would be to clean the screens and use a carb spray to clean inside the carbs without really changing anything. However if this is not possible then I will change whatever I need to. Will I have to re-jet the carbs if I change the needle and seat?

Is connecting the pulse line pretty straightforward? How about reattaching the throttle cable? Is it possible to detach then attach with the same adjustment?

Any other info you have on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

+1
    In the sticky write up it says to use "non-fuel injection line" what is the difference from fuel injection line and why can't you use fuel injection line?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    fuel injection line is pretty pricey comapred to quality marine grade line. I wouldn't suggest using auotmotive fuel line. I use Shields brand marine line..works with ethanol and won't break the bank. I'd try to use OEM fuel line clamps also..I don't trust hose clamps on fuel lines.

Now that the weather is getting warmer where I am I am going to get started with this. One question is with the fuel line clamps. It was suggested to use OEM clamps - will they work with all diameter fuel lines?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

fuel line clamp ranges

Quote Originally Posted by Jaym24 View Post
    Now that the weather is getting warmer where I am I am going to get started with this. One question is with the fuel line clamps. It was suggested to use OEM clamps - will they work with all diameter fuel lines?
    no..they won't

each clamp has a size range and actually you should be checking a single clamp against the size of your hose to see if they fit correctly. only the inner size of the line is described ( 1/4..5/16 etc) the brand of the line will dicate what clamps to use. you want a less then snug fit as you slip the clamp over the line. There will be some swell as you slip the line over the nipple and if you are too tight..it gets ugly in a hurry.

While some folks will say screw it use hose clamps...I cannot and use otkier clamps whenever possible and will only use a screw clamp if there isn't much choice and the oem has done so.

Get two sets of crimpers a longer one and a shorty..it's a tool you will be using in tight places.

otiker clamps are used in the beverage indusrty to make sure you don't blow 10 gallons of coke infused carbonated water on a floor..as they don't trust hose clamps in a cricital use why should you?

I took a quick look in the service manual and it did not look like they used a lot of the Oetiker clamps... just wondering what their rationale was for where they were used. Also Oetiker makes a bunch of different clamps, which type are the ones for the fuel lines and where is the best place to get them?

Thread Information