supercharger clutch issues

I not sure if this has been covered but it probably has and i can't find it, i own a 2003 gtx s/c and from what i read these were bad for slipping the clutch on the chager? i have done the '08 update and have about 40 hours on it since i did it, i haven't checked the slip since and can feel a slight power loss although i can still hear it "whistle"
    Question is how often does everyone check their s/c slip? and why do we have a clutch in our systems, could you not lock up the clutch and run a blow off valve? what would be the damage if i changed the washer set up from OEM to give me a higher slip mine is listed as 6-9 Nm in the manual but what if i set it at 10-12 Nm?
    Sorry for these questions i'm sure they have been covered................i just can't find a thread that gives me a definitive answer.
    Thanks in advance for any advice, Ben

+1
    Hey Ben, because your only running low boost your slip will not have to be checked all that frequently. Your probably at the point now where you should check it, especially if you feel you are losing performance, hearing a whistle is not indicative of good slip as it would have to be VERY low before you lost 100% of your boost. A lower than desirable slip could just be causing a small loss of boost.

Clutch washers are essential in the fact that they allow the s/c shaft to 'spin on' slightly when engine rpms change. Without the washers the force of the rapid deceleration when engine rpms go from 8000 down to idle will cause the s/c shaft to snap (remember it spins 5x faster than the crank). Increasing your slip moment to 10-12nm will not cause an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Hey Ben, because your only running low boost your slip will not have to be checked all that frequently. Your probably at the point now where you should check it, especially if you feel you are losing performance, hearing a whistle is not indicative of good slip as it would have to be VERY low before you lost 100% of your boost. A lower than desirable slip could just be causing a small loss of boost.

Clutch washers are essential in the fact that they allow the s/c shaft to 'spin on' slightly when engine rpms change. Without the washers the force of the rapid deceleration when engine rpms go from 8000 down to idle will cause the s/c shaft to snap (remember it spins 5x faster than the crank). Increasing your slip moment to 10-12nm will not cause an issue.
    AH ok then i see the need for washers now, thanks for the advice, might go check the slip though, maybe change the washer set up to add some more or go the store and get some shims

Thread Information