'06 RXT Intake Riva Intake Grate

So I've been reading around and I'm a bit confused? Do I need to do a pump shoe reinforcement on my RXT? Is it necessary to upgrade the girdle if I'm not running anything all too hot? Riva CAI, Free flow exhaust, and a Solas 14/19 prop (which I REALLY need to check pitch on). I'm not planning on anything crazy. Just want to put on the intercooler filter and a catch can and probably call it a day. Are there any tips to swapping out these grates? I'm seeing horror stories about them coming loose while riding?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jheyde View Post
    So I've been reading around and I'm a bit confused? Do I need to do a pump shoe reinforcement on my RXT? Is it necessary to upgrade the girdle if I'm not running anything all too hot? Riva CAI, Free flow exhaust, and a Solas 14/19 prop (which I REALLY need to check pitch on). I'm not planning on anything crazy. Just want to put on the intercooler filter and a catch can and probably call it a day. Are there any tips to swapping out these grates? I'm seeing horror stories about them coming loose while riding?
    Even if you don't "need" the pump shoe reinforcement it provides some extra peace of mind. Are the bolts for your current grate red loctited?

Is there a reinforcement for the XT? I haven't seen one? I'll have to check to see if they are red loctited or not.

+1
    Is there a reinforcement for the XT? I haven't seen one? I'll have to check to see if they are red loctited or not.
    Hi There,

This reinforcement are required for ski's running 75mph + the water pressure would pull the brass insert out from the pump shoe and possible break the grate. If you running stock you good! Most people are installing the RXT X setup(Pump Shoe, Drive Shaft, Rideplate and Grate). I am running a R&D Grate because is better then the Riva. After my Riva Grate broke and pulled the brass insert out. I drilled my pump shoe and install longer and stronger bolts. I been running this quick fix's for years and moving at 80+ with out no problem. If the pump shoe ever break. I will install the RXT X setup. But for now is working good and don't have to spend around $1200.00......

I'm not planning on any more boost or anything. At least not for now. But I think the grate will help performance a bit. I've been battling holeshot cavitation issues since last summer. Trying to weed out the possibilities. I need to get one of those walbro pitch gauges and see what's up with my prop ....double checking and all.

+1
    I'm not planning on any more boost or anything. At least not for now. But I think the grate will help performance a bit. I've been battling holeshot cavitation issues since last summer. Trying to weed out the possibilities. I need to get one of those walbro pitch gauges and see what's up with my prop ....double checking and all.
    Have you checked wear ring, carbon seal and bellows? those are some of the main culprits for cavitation issues.

Figured I'd update. I DID indeed bite the big one and must have installed a junk Ebay wear ring, because my tolerances with the stock prop were INSANE. So I reordered a new wear ring here, installed that and also put my SOLAS 14/19 back in. BEFORE I put the SOLAS back in, I ordered the WATCON pitch gauges and bent the prop to ensure it was matching on all ends. Went pretty easy, and it was indeed, a bit off. I still have a catch can and water filter kit to install, but need to determine the best location for all of these. I complained about only turning 7800-7900 rpms. I'm a moron. I just happened to glance over the throttle body as I was putting every thing back in. It had a HUGE amount of slack. So I tightened that back up. I'm 99.9% sure I just solved the majority of my issues. I just wanted to post an update with this....Hopefully I'll be out on the water possibly Sunday!

+1
    Great update! It is better to fix real problem, than to mask it with an intake grate! Still thinking of putting one one? Intake grate that is.....

+1
    Sounds like your on the right path good luck!

I did put the intake grate on. I'm sure if my cavitation is gone it will be because of the new wear ring. The gap on the old wear ring was ridiculous. I could probably slide a dime thickness thru the gap.

Thread Information