Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris SL650 Complete Rebuild

Hello,
    I am new to the forum, but just wanted to thank everyone that has posted so that i could learn from your experiences and so im here to do the same. I just started a new project a complete rebuild of a 1994 Polaris SL 650. So far i have taken out the engine, took it apart, ordered all the parts i need; New gaskets, triple outlet fuel pump, carb rebuild kits and other misk parts. As for the hull i completely sanded it today and im going to pick up some gel coat tmrw. I am also going to build a trailer for it and have ordered lots of parts for that, but ill post that later. Hopefully have some pics up soon.

Banned User
    +1
    Sounds like a fun project. We love pics

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! And like he ^^^^^^^ said..... we love pics!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

whats up guys, i am also new to this, from what i have read this is an awesome site,real glad to be a member. i have a 650sl hole in third piston. just replaced piston,i am also installing a 3outlet pump and a fresh rebuild on carbs. any other advice??? thank you Dameon.
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk

what i have found is that these jetskis are a pain to work on. exhaust is a pain in the @#$ if you know what i mean. I am a master machanic through ford. I just dont want to do this repair again. by the way i have a 1992 sl650 and a 1993 sl750 blue fugi engines sl 750 just needs carbs rebuilt and the 3 port fuel pump. On the 750 it kept overheating at wot. alarm steam. took the thermostat out and the pop off valve was corroded. now I have hesitation at wot. it has been a project from hell. but a friend gave them to me. so its worth fixing. sl650 like i said had a hole in the front piston. i was suprised that the cyl. bore was not trashed. so i fixed the no compression problem. cant wait to ride. any advise would be greatly app.

Banned User
    +1
    Read up on all the info on this site. You will learn what the known problems are on these skis. They are very reliable if they are well maintained. The problem is the unknown of getting a used one from someone else. That's why its so important to check over everything. One of the first things I do when getting a new to me ski, is to pull the cylinder heads and have a look. I also remove the carbs and clean and inspect them, looking for dried or cracked rubber parts. Pull off the jet pump and get a look at the overall condition of that. Look over all of the wiring and make sure nothing is damaged or rigged in a way it shouldn't be. Go over everything and you should have a good running reliable ski.

if anyone has the factory jet setting for the 1993 sl750 and sl650 that would be a big help. i just want to double ckeck so i don't lean the cyl. out again. do yall think it would hurt to put a little 2stroke oil in the gas for safe precautions. im just ready to see if it starts. it has spark, compression, and factory pump still pumps fuel. the hulls of both skis look great for there age. i was really surprised when he gave the to me. it would be nice to have a factory manual for this project. like it said in the previous posts MADE IN THE USA

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Read up on all the info on this site. You will learn what the known problems are on these skis. They are very reliable if they are well maintained. The problem is the unknown of getting a used one from someone else. That's why its so important to check over everything. One of the first things I do when getting a new to me ski, is to pull the cylinder heads and have a look. I also remove the carbs and clean and inspect them, looking for dried or cracked rubber parts. Pull off the jet pump and get a look at the overall condition of that. Look over all of the wiring and make sure nothing is damaged or rigged in a way it shouldn't be. Go over everything and you should have a good running reliable ski.
    Dameon - ^^^^^^^^^ Best advice you will get, in my opinion. Seems like a lot of time and reading, but well worth it, almost a must. Also, there are very distinct differences between the 93 model years and 94 on up..... Be sure to read up on those as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris_1992-1998_Service_(9912201)_02[1].jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	266519

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome aboard Dameon

Check this out.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148277

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information