SLX 1200 Will not start! Please Help

Evening All,

I Have my Polaris SLX 1200 That i bought for cheap as a project. I have replaced the cdi unit as it was faulty and put a new battery on the ski.
    Success i had power the MFD was working and i had crank! The best part is that the MFD only say 3 HOURS! seriously? any way it cranks and cranks and cranks put will not fire up? any common problems?

Many thanks josh.

Banned User
    +1
    Do you have spark? Dump some gas down the carbs and see if it fires. if it does you have a fuel issue.

+1
    if you dont have spark then could be voltage reg (LR31), coil pack, bad ground to engine, hall effect sensors in stator gone.

Easy check for voltage reg is to check your voltage on the orange terminal on the elec. board while cranking the engine over. If no voltage when cranking, try moving to cdi wire that is red/purp spliced to orange, to the red/purp terminal on the board instead of orange, see if it fires, if so, new voltage regulator. I had the same problem recently and just cranked and cranked w/ no spark, was the volt reg LR31 under the board in the elec. box, ski would fire when i moved the red/purp to orange wire from cdi to the old red/purp location which determined that the voltage regulator wasnt supplying any voltage when cranking (also saw on volt meter).
    red/purp terminals should always have power, orange only when cranking/running

If your not seeing voltage to orange terminals when cranking its probable thats your cause. If not then id check ignition coil resistances and if they check out then the hall eff. sensors in the stator.
    If you search the forum and find any post by k447 there will be links in his signature that will lead you to the tests for the coil,stator,ect.

Hope that helps out some

+1
    Heres the link to the ignition testing if ya' need it, i knew i had it saved as a favorite somewhere. You'll want to use the "domestic with update" tests

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ignition+tests

Banned User
    +1
    You could just press the bilge button and hold it rather than opening the box to do the test for the regulator

+1
    figured if he just replaced the cdi, chances are the box is still open if the ski isnt running still. just thought id throw in my two cents since id had the same problem and most the other ignition tests would require the ebox to be open, just tryin to help.

Thanks all for the Info and help. i made the silly mistake of putting it all back togeather. im going to check the spark tomorrow and fuel ect. the bilge button works fine. would it not if there was a coltage problem. what sort of cost for voltage regulator.

Thanks again.
    josh

Banned User
    +1
    Will it fire and run if you try to start it while holding down the bilge button?

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Will it fire and run if you try to start it while holding down the bilge button?

Hi, I spent a couple hours on it last night, testing spark ect... i removed cylinder spark plug and tested agains the head sparked fine, same with two, when i did this with number 3 the engine fired up??? :S obvioulsy missing due to only running on cyclinder 1 and 2. so i reconected cyclinder 3 and again will not start. i tried holding the bilge button down. that didnt work is that a good thing. i beleive the fuel might have water in it due to being sat there for so long. but that dosent explain why it fined up when number 3 was out? could it be poor ground?

josh

Banned User
    +1
    I think you have a weak battery. By removing one plug, you lessen the load on the battery while cranking the engine. When you put the plug back in the battery doesn't have enough juice to fire the plugs. I had this exact thing happen to me. Replaced the battery and off it went.

Thread Information