Pro 1200 Short Block It or rebuild

I have a 2000 Polaris Pro 1200 that is dead, but will be running again by the time Ohio's season starts (with your help). The problem of letting others ride your ski does not need to be discussed with you, but this has caused my problem. The engine locked-up at the end of the season and is now in pieces in my garage. The no.1 piston and head are beat-up and scored from the pieces of the front three most crank bearings that are completely destroyed. At this point I am hoping to hear some possible causes of this and determine if a short block or rebuild is the answer. I believe if a re-sleeve the piston, buy a new piston kit and rebuild the crank I could come in several hundred bucks under a re-manufactured short block. Does the dinged up head need replaced, could I bore only the first cylinder and put in 1 oversized piston, why doesn't anyone want to rebuild a crank. I have a lot of questions, but know that I will not pay 2/3 of my skis value to have someone else perform the "necessary" repairs. The 1200 has about 70 hours on it, and has run perfectly until that day

+1
    Ohio Welcome to the Hulk
    Call Richie at Sharps marine
    http://www.sharpsmarine.com/index.htm

Or Jay At http://WWW.ATLANTICPOWERSPORTS.COM

These guys are the best Polaris Techs around
    There is also Randy at http://watcon.com/

+1
    Ohio, WELCOME to the Green Hulk forums!!!

If you want longevity and reliability you should change the cylinder and install a new piston and dome. You can buy the pieces used, just ask the board members and they'll have the parts for you in no time.
    I know Randy at watcon and Jay at Atlantic have used stuff as well. I'm sure the Sharps have some used goodies but they usually need to use the stuff so give everybody a whirl.
    You can certainly rebuild the crank yourself IF you had the correct tools. Remember these cranks are assembled with HUGE presses and to dis-assemble and assemble them you're going to need thousands of dollars worth of tools. I think Jay was selling NEW 1200 cranks for 600 bucks, I've seen them for less on e-bay but certainly can't vouch for their quality.

+1
    yes we still have cranks for 600.00 with your core and free ground shipping. just send me your core. i can sell you the gaskets,seals,o-rings,domes, piston(s),used/new cylinders(bored to match new piston) to do that job or send the complete engine and get it rebuilt. you might have some case damage if you lost your main bearings. let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by 4strokepolaristech View Post
    yes we still have cranks for 600.00 with your core and free ground shipping. just send me your core. i can sell you the gaskets,seals,o-rings,domes, piston(s),used/new cylinders(bored to match new piston) to do that job or send the complete engine and get it rebuilt. you might have some case damage if you lost your main bearings. let us know.
    yes, do not take for granted the cases. mine looked fine after my crank bearing went, but there were 6-7 small cracks in various spots. along with one large one.

Thread Information