Preventive Maintenance for Oil Injection

Hello All, newbie here. Just got myself an ’99 Kawa 1100 STX. Seems to be some controversy about oil injection vs. premix. I can see there is credence in both sides of the argument.

My question is not to stir the argument but should I decide to keep the oil injection is there any preventive maintenance I can do to help keep the odds of it working for me?

My oil injection is currently working and I am on the fence about disabling it.

Thanks in advance

+1
    Welcome aboard, waxsworth!

Everybody has an opinion, this is mine. Upgrade the hoses to polyurethane and secure them with stainless steel safety wire so they can't come off. You'll have to bleed the air from the hoses & pump, but it will last many years. The pumps don't fail, but the hoses get old, brittle, and they crack--or they come off. If you're worried about it, replace the hoses every 5 years or so.

Pre-mix is messy, requires you to do arithmetic while at the gas pump or carry more paraphernalia with you, smokes more at idle, and it DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WON'T HAVE AN OIL RELATED ENGINE FAILURE! If you convert to pre-mix and one of your carbs get plugged with trash, guess what. The other cylinders keep spinning that engine and you've got one running at thousands of RPM with no oil! You haven't solved anything.

Quote Originally Posted by waxsworth View Post
    should I decide to keep the oil injection is there any preventive maintenance I can do to help keep the odds of it working for me?
    The oil injection system failure is mainly due to EMPTY oil tank.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    The oil injection system failure is mainly due to EMPTY oil tank.
    I've seen that before!

Years ago, when ALL PWCs were pre-mix, a friend's wife took the kids out to play on their Waverunners. When they got home, he asked her, "You DID mix oil with the gas, right?" "Nooo... Was I supposed to?"

I was amazed at how long that little 500 engine ran without oil--but it didn't smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, waxsworth!

Everybody has an opinion, this is mine. Upgrade the hoses to polyurethane and secure them with stainless steel safety wire so they can't come off. You'll have to bleed the air from the hoses & pump, but it will last many years. The pumps don't fail, but the hoses get old, brittle, and they crack--or they come off. If you're worried about it, replace the hoses every 5 years or so.

Pre-mix is messy, requires you to do arithmetic while at the gas pump or carry more paraphernalia with you, smokes more at idle, and it DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WON'T HAVE AN OIL RELATED ENGINE FAILURE! If you convert to pre-mix and one of your carbs get plugged with trash, guess what. The other cylinders keep spinning that engine and you've got one running at thousands of RPM with no oil! You haven't solved anything.

Thanks!
    In addition to the oil pump bleeding, can I pull the spark plugs wires (ground them) pull the plugs out and squirt 2 stroke oil in the cylinders and crank for a bit to bleed the lines? and keep squirting while cranking.

thanks in advance!

+1
    You can do that, but you'll be cranking for about an hour.

Go to your local pharmacy or feed store and get a syringe. The other option would be to pre-mix a tank of fuel and run it that way until the oil gets to the carbs.

ok so used a syring and prefilled the hoses. Bled the oil pump via the bleed screw. just for giggles I squirted some oil in the combustion chambers. It started up, smoked as it should have. I goosed the oil pump (not the throttle). All seemed well.

Shortly after I am now unable to keep it running. I prime, starts right up, even revs up a bit with throttle but once the gas from the primer is out it cuts off. It seems that it is not getting it main suppy of fuel. I check the supply line, return line and pulse, nothing kinked or loose.

Disconnect supply line at the filter and blow into the line and into the carb it seems resticted, not sure if that is normal. there is gas going intot the carb.

Took the carbs back off, took the plates off to inspect the needle seat assmbly, normal in my eyes.

I did notice that one of the spark plug wires is loose in the electrical box (not the plug side) feels that the wire is attached just not secure like the other 3.
    any ideas? like I said, I can prime/start/run a few second all day long.

thanks

+1
    Did you put the pulse hose back on the fuel pump? Also, check it for splits. I had one that was brittle and it cracked when I took it off.

pulse line was secured and had no leaks.

I noticed that there was fuel in my pulse line, is that normal? If not could I have a bad fuel pump?
    thanks

+1
    Shouldn't be fuel in the pulse hose. Time to pull the pump and take a look.

Thread Information