Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Prohibido usuario
    +1

Question for Florida riders

Is it possible to ride a ski from the coast to the Bahamas?

+1
    Very do able....the FRS(florida rally series) did a group ride from miami to bimini last summer....

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    My room mate and I have job offers in Palm Beach and we were wondering if you could ride to the Bahamas from there. He's flying down Tuesday to check out the job.
    Last edited by NCHeel; 01-12-2007 at 06:24 PM.

+1
    You will like it down here. Just cost of living is higher i belive That is if you are planing on owning a house. Taxes are high and insurance is high. Taxes are 2 % of the purchase price here in broward county and figure at least $3000 for homeowners insurnace !! . Riding is awsome here.

the closest island from miami is bimini (52miles)but i don't recomned it right now the weather is unstable the seas can pick up to 4-6 overnight and then u will have to fight the sea and the gulfstream u might run out of gas before u get there , during the summer when the winds come out of the south the gulfstream is calm for weeks at the time then it will be a good ride i'm gone do it my self ! i work in bimini so i'll sedn my work stuff over with air and i ride my ski over they have a new marina with power and ice and fresh water and hotel rooms , they will have a new gas station up this summer then we will have fresh 93 all times i can't wait ! Right now just come down and ride along the coast we have a lot of waterways and islands in the miami beach area u'll like it !!

+1
    Bimini is about 50 miles from Miami as the crow flies. As close as that may seem, it's not a jaunt in the park. The weather conditions are quick to change and the Gulf Stream can get mighty rough. The 50 miles can become a lot further because chances are you won't be able to hold a straight line course. Extra fuel, a VHF Marine radio, GPS, and a float plan filed with the USCG would be wise. The ocean is a very big place and not somewhere you want to break down or get lost. When you arrive in the Bahamas you will need a passport and must pay their $150 "tax" per boat. Be prepared to pay outragous prices for food and drink. You can check out our club website for a story on last years Watertop Unlimited to the Bahamas. www.spacecoastjetriders.com

Richard

Not a trip I'd be willing to make on a ski. A decent sized boat, yes, a ski, no way.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAMBOMB View Post
    You will like it down here. Just cost of living is higher i belive That is if you are planing on owning a house. Taxes are high and insurance is high. Taxes are 2 % of the purchase price here in broward county and figure at least $3000 for homeowners insurnace !! . Riding is awsome here.
    i'd be thrilled if my property taxes were 3000!!!!

stupid government

+1
    If you purchase a house or property in FL don't go by what the seller was paying in taxes. When he sells, the property gets reappraised at full market value and the tax is going to sky rocket...especially if you purchase from someone who owned the property for a long time. Most realtors won't mention this. They don't want to scare any buyers away.
    Once you own homestead property. the FL constitution states that taxes can not rise more than 3% a year, no matter how much the value appreciates.

Richard

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    yes....very good point richard...this is sooo true. i have clients all the time tell me their agents didn't tell them that....scum suckers.

as a matter of fact here's the state website with links to the county appraisers/tax collectors. you can search by address or owners name(depending on county). multiply the appraised value(it'll be higher the year after you purchase, so take that into account too) by the millage rate.

for instance

house TAXABLE value: $100,000 (won't find any that cheap, but it makes the math easy)

millage rate 21.1552

to find taxes

100,000X.0211552= $2,115.52

hope that helps

sean

link: http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/property/appraisers.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information