+1

FZR stealth mods

Hello,
    Well I should probably start with saying I have searched and I have taken a pretty thorough look at this forum (about 20 pages back) .

After having a very nice experience modding my 2006 gpr with help from fellow forum members and getting it to a respectable level I`ve been blessed with another ski ! A friend of my dads took my ski for a ride last year and decided he wants a fast ski too. He`s very non-mechanical to the point he wanted to add two stroke oil to his fzr...

So he bought a 2009 (might be 2010) fzr and tasked me with maintaining it. He pays for the maintenance and fuel and just wants to ride it (maybe 3-4 times a year) .

I believe he would not be opposed to any mod but I would not like to go over the edge and I wouldn`t want to spend a lot of money on the ski.

I would like some opinions on what would make a great rec ski (also for rougher sea water riding) .
    I would first like to set some boundaries. I would like to avoid changing the intercooler or going for an exhaust that is obnoxious . Also I believe mods like injectors or builds are out of the question.

Here is what I have gathered would be the order for mods (and I`ll probably stop when the budget ends) .

R&D intake grate (+ pump seal kit) First thing for security

Air mods (flo-rites)
    intake ribbon removal (either riva or r&d , maybe the r&d spacers called intercooler cfm kit )
    Air filter (air intake routing?)
    Riva stock intercooler upgrade kit
    R&D stock intercooler core
    R&D tial surge/blow-off kit
    R&D intercooler cooling kit

This would take care of the intake side, cooling and air needs.

Next I would like to go for a tune . This would need to be good for two things. First is to work with the stock wheel until I upgrade the supercharger wheel and second would be (rather obviously) to work with the upgraded wheel after I decide on which one to get.
    I`m seeing a lot of people are happy with the r&d r2 and also the v-tech stage 3 .

More hull/pump mods for security or handling
    Riva sleeve kit
    Pump tunnel reinforcement
    Prop (skat trak probably - I would love some advice on pitch)
    Exit nozzle
    Sponsons
    Ride plate (will go into detail )

Exhaust :
    free flow kit
    Through hull exhaust ?

I will have to explain how I see modding a ski. My only experience modding skis has been with sea-doos (rxp, rxp-x) helping friends or my own gpr . On the gpr the main focus is to make it stick to the water and not have it jump all over the place. It also accelerates straight up as opposed to forward so you have to lean over the bars. But the fzr is different . It`s big and heavy and it handles rough water better in stock form. It also has a ton of torque . That`s why I`m not so keen on the supercharger wheel and I also feel I have no guidance on what prop or pump setup to choose. I also feel quite numb on the plate decision.
    Again after making some mods and adjustments on the gpr I can read what somebody else has written , their findings and get a feeling on what would be better for my ski. I have none of that understanding for the fzr .

I believe some of the parts or mods I have written may be wrong, un-necessary or inadequate . Please let me know.
    Thank you for any insight you may offer and sorry for the wall of text lol .

Here`s a pic of me jumping my gpr for your entertainment :

+1
    If you added up the cost of all those IC parts, you could get a Fizzle IC for less money.

I have seen many on this board state that spending money upgrading the stock IC is a complete waste of money.

Considering you want to add a wheel and a reflash why not just change the IC?

Going with an aftermarket IC and keeping the stock wheel would be less "over the edge".

+1
    Well that's exactly the advice I was looking for !
    Thank you for your insight !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    If you added up the cost of all those IC parts, you could get a Fizzle IC for less money.

I have seen many on this board state that spending money upgrading the stock IC is a complete waste of money.

Going with an aftermarket IC and keeping the stock wheel would be less "over the edge".
    Good advise!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post

Good answer Grasshoppa!

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FtLaudBlkGT View Post
    Good answer Grasshoppa!
    +1

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I used my stock air box, modified it and added a R&D filter to it.......still looks like stock and stelthy..............works like a Riva power filter.

Don't waste money on the stock intercooler.......take it from me.....LOL

Thread Information