Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stability: Seadoo Challenger 180 or a V-hull type

Hi, i'm considering getting a 180 challenger instead of a 18foot v-hull type boat like a doral or bayliner. I'm worried about the stability of the Challenger on the water, and how much more stable would the v-hull type boat be???

non-bias answers please!

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    What type of stability are you interested in? In what kind of water? Stepping on the boat at the dock, climbing on the boat on one side of the swim platform, sitting in a small chop, the Challenger would be more stable than a deeper V. I looked for a picture but couldnt find, does the Challenger have a hard chine? That would help even more but a hard chine, light-weight boat like this can reflect a phenomenon in certain choppy conditions you can call "excessive stability", in lay terms, a "snap roll", and get in sync with the wave length when lying in beam seas and start flopping pretty violently. It doesn't make a V more stable, technically, but in a certain size chop it will feel like it to you. This is because the deeper V has more hull in the water and less chine, it is deeper than the circular motion of a certain size range of waves. It is not more stable, ultimately but in the condition of a certain size chop it will flop less. Following sea, I don't know but above a certain size you will learn, I think you'll want to stay on the back side of a wave and ride at it's speed in either. Below that size wave, the deep V will be faster. In calm water, the hull with less V will be faster. Head sea... the deeper V performs better. A prop is better than a jet, too, when things get nasty.

Sorry, should have elaborated more...i'm talking about general stability in light chop, like say 3 feet waves in about 20kt winds, say crossing a channel for example.

Neither of those would exactly be a whole lot of fun in a 3 foot chop. But I'd say the challenger.

Also, I was just checking out a 2009 c180, its pretty cool...but there's no cover over the front end...so if you dug in the front wouldn't the entire thing become swamped?

a C180? Not sure what that is. But do you mean its an open bow? The challenger your looking at is an open bow too...I'm confused.

Yes c180 = challenger 180. With the open bow, I would think if you dig into a wave somehow, it'll become swamped. Does this ever happen? I can't find any instances of it on the internet, although I can of people flipping them over. Does anyone know of any video of the "challenger 180" in choppy water? I searched u-tube...nothing..
    Thanks.

+1
    I agree that I wouldn't want to be there in three footers in either. The bigger V will pound less. The open bow is something that needs to be addressed through freeing ports (people call them scuppers) and a pump. The builder designed it for, probably, certainly no more than three foot. Even that could get you into trouble with an open bow and no huge freeing ports. Not hard to do, BTW, for a good glasser. The idea is that the front drains before the next wave fills it. If you do not address this, you shouldn't put yourself anywhere near a position where you might take a wave over the front. Substantially all sportboats drain inadequately, BTW. Tell the volume of inclosed area and I'll tell you how big the freeing ports need to be or don't go in a condition where you might bury the bow.
    Are you sure you wouldn't want a little bigger boat? You could really get thrashed in three foot.

+1
    On second thought, better to hire a marine architect for advice. I do not want to recommend a size of hole. I'll just say "big" and they don't need to be at deck level. They can be higher, where convenient so that water doesn't splash into them so much. Hatch covers need to be dogged. Three foot... Ugghh. How about a ski? - much better sea boat than most any 18 footer.

Thanks Mark, you sound like a guy that knows a lot about boats! I appreciate the offer, if I buy it I'll try to find a glasser and consult you as well via this forum for the freeing ports. I read in the specs that the Challenger 180 has about 23cuft of storage, but as for the actual inclosed area I'd have to do some measuring, but I'd estimate about 2x8x6 or about 100cuft to drain. I think i'd have to cut a big hole for that, like probably 4 drains, maybe 1/2cuft each? Do you know of anyone that has done this to a Challenger?
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information