Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about compression

I was doing a compression check on my ski and all 3 cylinders were at 90psi, any one have any ideas as to what that could be? As I thought if you had a bad cylinder that it would be off by a few but I have never seen where all 3 were exctly the same. Also noticed over the last year that out of the hose that goes to the ride plate has been slowly leaking antifreeze at the bottom of the hose and I have checked the clamp and it is tight, not sure if this has anyhting to do with it but not sure why it is leaking. I have heard that it could be valves or piston rings but it doesn't make sense to me. Anyones feed back to help me figure something out would be great. Thanks

Seems low
    How many hours on the engine?
    Does it idle ok?
    If you squirt oil in the cylinder does the compression increase?

+1
    If its not engine wear id be looking at cam timing - has the head ever been off?

+1
    Try another comp tester... Were these readings on a hot engine and holding WOT?

I will look at the hours I think somewhere around 160 something, the idle is pretty rough was going to get new spark plugs and put in and see if the plugs were bad. I DID NOT squirt oil in the cylinder I WILL TRY. That when I get home from work this afternoon. The head has never been off as I have never had any problems with the ski until now and have since 2009, I did the compression with 2 differnet testers as I thought the first one wasn't going down all the way since it didn't feel like it was tight and got the exact same reading with the other one that went snug all the way down in the spark plug hole. I did on cold motor and no I did not hold WOT, do I need to try and hold WOT and see if it changes anything? Thanks for the feedback and ideas I will post my results later this evening.

+1
    Make sure your battery is fully charged and all the plugs are out. Hold it at WOT and try again. Get that antifreeze issue fixed soon...

+1
    What ski do you have?

I have a 2004 GTX 4-tech supercharged 185hp with the Riva stage I kit on it and the fizzle jr. intercooler. Also I added the GEN II wheel from Riva to my supercharger. I did not get to recheck the things that were previously asked above, that are my plans for tomorrow so will post then my findings. Thanks again for everyones help and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRHEAD View Post
    I have a 2004 GTX 4-tech supercharged 185hp with the Riva stage I kit on it and the fizzle jr. intercooler. Also I added the GEN II wheel from Riva to my supercharger. I did not get to recheck the things that were previously asked above, that are my plans for tomorrow so will post then my findings. Thanks again for everyones help and ideas.
    I have redone the compression test and it still came up at 90 on all 3 cylinders. I did put a few drops of oil in the cylinder, took all the plugs out and held it at WOT. I am now totally at a loss and am not sure what way to go, there are no codes coming up on the dash board. Any one have any other ideas or thoughts as to what it could be please reply, As I was hoping to go to the lake in about 7 weeks but no looking so promising. Thanks for any helpful ideas that you have.

+1
    That engine doesn't sound healthy. Sounds like some worn out rings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information