Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

01GP1200r jet pump stuck

Hey guys, Im working on a 01 GP1200r the wear ring is bubbled up and frozen on. The problem im having is I can`t remove the shaft with the pump assy, feels like the spline is seized by the bearing. How do I remove this unit? I can only pry the pump 1/2 inch. Heres a pic to show how far it goes. Thanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iPhone 007.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	266588  

+1
    Yep, going to most likely need to pull the motor, heat up the intermediate hammer it off, check splines on both and repalced what is stripped along with wear ring.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by crashhard View Post
    Yep, going to most likely need to pull the motor, heat up the intermediate hammer it off, check splines on both and repalced what is stripped along with wear ring.
    Though thankfully i've never had siezed splines, I'm wondering why you couldn't split and remove the shaft boot with a blade, then heat that up v. pulling the motor?

Well here`s an up date, pulling the motor was/is the last thing I want to do. I pulled the cone off and unbolted the nut, to remove the pump assy with out the impeller and shaft. I have PB Blaster socking the splines, till the new wear ring assy comes in. Hopefully it comes lose, if not just going to have to bolt it back up.

Name:	iPhone 003.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	266932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iPhone 002.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	266933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iPhone 001.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	266934  

+1
    From looking at the pics if you look in front of the prop on the shaft there should be a small rubber or aluminum cone. if you slide it up you can get a pry bar on the front of the prop.

If you decide to reassembly the wear ring and stater the way you removed it now would be a good time to replace the seals IMO.

The motor does not need to be completely removed to get this out. The best way to do it is remove the stinger, u pipe, carbs, and the air box up front. Unbolt the engine and it has a good 6-8 inches to slide forward... It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't.

The splines on my ski were really seized, so I just cut the drive shaft at the thru-hull with an angle grinder and replaced the I shaft and pump assembly. I thought this was a lot easier than killing myself trying to get the shaft out.... Plus the peace of mind that the seals and bearings are good.... just my two cents though.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    From looking at the pics if you look in front of the prop on the shaft there should be a small rubber or aluminum cone. if you slide it up you can get a pry bar on the front of the prop.

If you decide to reassembly the wear ring and stater the way you removed it now would be a good time to replace the seals IMO.
    I will try that, I did order new seals with the wear ring. Would it be a big deal if I just reassemble everything with the new parts and don`t pull the shaft out and wait till I need to do the bearings by the shaft?

+1
    You can just reassemble but if there was any water in the bearing assembly you would definitely need new seals. It is good practice to replace bearings and seals when pulling the stator apart especially if it has a lot of hours on

Hey guys, I replaced the wear ring, repacked the pump bearings, and new pump seals. I didn`t remove the shaft, im going the wait until i have to replace the bearings on the shaft. Thanks for the info and I will try and do your suggestions when it comes time to. The only reason I didn`t do the things was to save my buddy some money.

Name:	iPhone 004.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	267251  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information