Question 2003 GTX SC (Limp Mode/Loss of Power until restart.. &..Non Working LCD Dash Cluster)

Hi Guys,

I now have 2 issues with my 2003 Seadoo GTX Supercharged.
    Ski has 180-195hours on the clock (not sure if its still recording beyond the 180 i last saw).

ISSUE 1:
    My LCD Dash Cluster does not work (it used to work temporarily, then i placed the whole cluster in rice which made it work for a few more weeks, but now it is 100% dead). I have tested the power to the Dash and it is present, so i am certain the dash is dead. I have a 2004 Seadoo GTX SC as well (with 80 hours on the clock), but was scared to take it out and try it in my 2003 ski, incase it stuffs it up or changes the hours to 195.
    I have run the ski like this for months now with no issues, it starts fine, runs perfect, and the only BEEP it give me is when i first plug the key in, which i believe is the "Dash not working" Beep.

My questions are:
    1 - If i swap the dash from my 2004 ski to my 2003 ski to read error codes etc, will it work?
    2 - Will the hours of my 2004 Ski (88hrs) get overwritten with 195hrs from the 2003 ski's ECU? Basically, is the hours recorded in the dash or ECU?

The reason i want to change clusters is to solve my next issue by getting error codes:

ISSUE 2:

For the last 2 times i have taken my 2003 ski out, it has entered a Limp Mode (I think?).. When it is first used, it works great and has plenty of power down low, and plenty of power up top end. This works for a good 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the ski will BEEP (one long beep) and go into limp mode (i cant tell - no dash), but it has minimal power.. It will stay like this until i take the key out and put it back in.. It then works 100% again for another 10 or so minutes...
    I checked all fluids, all are fine. so am stuck for ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
    Tony

+1
    The hours are not stored on the gauge cluster for that year. It is safe to swap it with your other ski. Issue 2 could be several things.

Ok, I successfully swapped the clusters which worked 100%. I can also confirm that you are correct (the hours are stored elsewhere in the ski).
    The 2004 cluster on the 2003 ski showed 195h, and then when re-inserted in the 2004 ski, it went back to 89hrs.

As for the old LCD cluster, as i now narrowed that down to the failed component, i had nothing to lose so opened it up, found a blown transistor, and replaced it.. now my old dash works
    Here a few photos / explanations of the process of how i fixed the LCD cluster:
    1. Take cluster apart.. I tried to separate the lens by placing it in the oven at 100deg Celsius for 10 minutes and tried to split it, but it started to crack, so i gave up and just cut the cluster at the back using a hacksaw.

2. I didn't get any photos until i realized i could salvage the dash, but it was full of salt residue which i cleaned using alcohol and a brush. I then proceeded to take the needles off the cluster which took some convincing with strategically placed side cutters (to lever it up NOT CUT).
    3. I then un-soldered the LCD from the main board to gain access to the components. This took a while with a soldering iron and a solder sucker. Once off, i cleaned more of the salt residue.

4. I then found a blown and bubbled D1220 NPN transistor, so i replaced it with one i had salvaged from a TV set, but you can buy it online cheap.

5. I tested the board on the ski at this point (with no LCD)... the LED and needles lit and did the start up dance, so i knew it was working.
    6. I sprayed the board with hairspray (for salt-water protection) then re-soldered the LCD back on and again used hairspray.

7. Putting things back together, i placed the needles on very very lightly and then took it back out to the ski and plugged it in (as it zero's when connected)... Once the Zero place was set, i re-set the needles so they are correct.

8. Cluster working (needles hadn't been set yet)

9. I then melted the 2 halves together using a soldering iron and used a silicon to create an even better seal...

Cluster now works 100%.
      I hope this helps someone, because here in Australia, a cluster is $800 delivered.

Now to work out why my ski is entering limp mode after 10 minutes (Issue #2)?
      Any help is appreciated.

Regards, Tony

+1
    Very nice! amazing what a dollar capacitor or transistor can do to a 800 dollar part uh?

Issue 2- check for stored codes

Quote Originally Posted by eb87 View Post
    Very nice! amazing what a dollar capacitor or transistor can do to a 800 dollar part uh?

Issue 2- check for stored codes
    Issue 2 .... No code is shown on the dash.. just says "end" when you press set 5 times.
    I have read that the issue could be caused by the TOPS valve or Oil Pressure Switches, but is there anyway to test them out?..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fire View Post
    Issue 2 .... No code is shown on the dash.. just says "end" when you press set 5 times.
    I have read that the issue could be caused by the TOPS valve or Oil Pressure Switches, but is there anyway to test them out?..
    I think I read somewhere that the tops valve has a plunger or a spool type of thing inside it that swells up and stops moving. You can take the plastic spool out of the valve and carefully smooth it out on a lath or possibly in a drill chuck. Double check what I am saying because I can't remember all the details. If the spool stops moving it won't release the crank case pressure. Also If i remember right when it dose that it dose not throw out a code.

Very nice post! Thanks for the info.

TOPS valve confirmed working.. I did the blowby test... lanyard off, couldnt blow into it... lanyard on, i could....
    Might check out the Oil Pressure Switch and see if theres a way to test them without swapping from ski to ski.

I am having a simular issue and when i ohmd out the pins to the small connector in the back i see that the grey, pink and purple all are connected. Are they supposed to have contunity? Thought only power on purple and ground on black. Looks like on the main board the spots that the wires plug into all seem to be connected but when i unplug the small plug from the main board, the wires and the small board does not have any between then wires but the board still does. Are they suposed to? Thanks

Thread Information