Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1

Keihin CDKII rebuild - a few surprises!

Well, I came across a local source for my rebuild kit yesterday (rather unexpectedly, long story) so I ended up with everything I needed to rebuild my carb today.

First off, when I separated the carb from the intake manifold, this is what I found - this is all that was left of the gasket!

I could actually see a few spots on the mating surfaces where it had begin to vibrate metal on metal. Although I've not yet rode this machine (eBay purchase for those who remember) I can't immagine that this would have helped drivability much - it HAD to be sucking air. Thankfully it didn't seem to have done any damage as the engine compression tested super-healthy and ran/runs great with what I could do pre-purchase.

Anyhow, this find ALONE made me feel happy I decided to do this job as this surely would have caused us trouble this summer.

I figured the chance of finding a factory gasket was slim to none, so I pulled out the make-a-gasket material and fabricated one using the old grease-template method. Worked like a charm.

Had a few surprises when I dug into the carb - no high speed jet!? It took me a bit to figure out what the heck was up there. Otherwise, everything went well - carb was pretty clean and otherwise intact internally - a tiny bit of gunk in the internal filter, but surprisingly little. Jet was pretty good... but replaced pretty much everything anyways.

Pulled all the tempo fuel lines and replaced. Siphoned out all the old fuel as I couldn't vouch for it's history...it was in the machine when I bought it. It clearly had Sta-Bil in it (it was cherry red) and It had been cycled through the carbs as well (red fuel everywhere) but I wasn't willing to risk anything. I'll pickup some high-test (no ethanol) fuel tomorrow.

Got it all back together but no fuel to fire it up. Tomorrow.

+1
    Good move. Carbs are a lot easier to run kits through than having to repair an entire engine later down the track. A hell of a lot cheaper too.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What gasket material did you use? I found a grey fiberous type that leaked air like crazy. That wouldn't be a good choice for carb base gaskets.

+1
    Doh...it was a grey one I used, although it's a very dense material... The cork seemed like it would come apart due to the design of the gasket, and I wasn't sure about the blue style material.

Hmmm..

+1
    What year is this carb/pwc ? Should have 2 jets in the high circuit.Picture of the jet block will help.

Kawasaki also used Keihin carbs,so they should have carb base gaskets.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oshawapilot View Post
    Doh...it was a grey one I used, although it's a very dense material... The cork seemed like it would come apart due to the design of the gasket, and I wasn't sure about the blue style material.

Hmmm..
    blue or grey is ok

+1
    I've used the Grey fiber high temp gasket material in the past and seemed okay. But I also used copper spray with it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    What year is this carb/pwc ? Should have 2 jets in the high circuit.Picture of the jet block will help.

Kawasaki also used Keihin carbs,so they should have carb base gaskets.
    2000. After being completely baffled originally (the service manual I have is for 2001 and apparently the 01 models *did* have a high speed jet as it references and shows it) I discovered that indeed the Y2K models were not equipped with high speed jets - all jetting is done with the primary jet alone inside the carb.

Took the machine for a brief run today and all seems well.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I only use the Karropack material from now on. Thick brown paper bag looking stuff.

If you would have seen the bubbles coming out of the grey fiberous stuff when I did a leak down test, you wouldn't use that stuff on your engine ever again.

Use whatever you like though. Just trying to share my experience.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I only use the Karropack material from now on. Thick brown paper bag looking stuff.
    Googled it....kinda looks like what I used.

It's moderately thick, seems like it's a bit pliable when compressed, and seems to have sealed up well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information