Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ask me about my two girl shows havoc's Avatar

starter prob on GP1200R...anyone??

Hey guys I been enjoying these forums for a little while. You guys really have these boats workin for ya..... I hope to do the same this season here in Seattle Washington on Lake washington. Just one problem, I am having starter issues..... My starter keeps kicking out after 1 or 2 seconds of turning the engine. The local yamaha shop cant fiqure it out. They changed out the starter with the same results. they say there isnt any voltage drop at the starter switch. Billed $400.00 and told there is nothing they can do for me...does anyone have any ideas???? I would really be thankful and you would have a northwest member for life if anyone can help me here.

thanks,

JD (Havoc)

+1
    Check and make sure your Ground wire is good and all connections are made properly. I also had another issue on a ski with a new battery that would fail under load. Try starting it with a good battery charger or new battery attached. I say this assuming the dealer checked out the solenoid and switch as you said. if you do not have a service manual download one from the how to section here.

Oh Yeah Welcome to the Hulk!!

+1
    Welcome Havoc,

All good suggestions from Bill. I've had that ground cable bite me a few times.

One issue not mentioned was a known problem with the gpr, and that is the snout breakage on the crank. It is possible that the flywheel is pulling away from the starter, and is hanging on only halfway. Unfortunately, the only way I can think of checking is by going into the front cover. I hope I am wrong.

+1
    welcome to the forum HAvoc

Thanks for the suggestions osidebill. Since I really don’t think much of the shop that checked out my boat, I really can’t say that they checked out the solenoid and switch. I may have to download a manual and do it myself. As for the battery test that’s an easy one. I will just swap out the new battery from my GP800R that I just bought 2 rides ago. Thanks for your help. Keep your finger crossed.

I don’t think I like your suggestions hydrotoys and will ignore them. :0)
    The reason being is that I think you might be right........The reason my boat was in the shop wasn’t the kickout prob, that I had been living with all summer. The reason was that the bindex gear had a chunk missing out of it big enough for the starter gear to fit in. So it is possible that your reasoning is right on. But you will have to forgive me if I try the cheaper options that are one heck of a lot less work. Know what I mean????
    Last edited by havoc; 01-13-2007 at 12:38 AM.

+1
    Boy don't I.

I had to get towed 10 miles, in a whipping wind, behind a GPR at about 20mph.

+1
    I lost a solenoid on a ski they seem to work or not it always worked then not. but there may be loose connection there also. I would say if they changed the bendix they should have found a broken snout but then again if you are not looking you will not see. if it came back not working I would say chances are............ answer one thing has the ski started at all since the repair?

+1
    Now, if there were teeth missing off the flywheel, you might have similar issue.

osidebill, I have taken it out a number of times since the repair. Boat will start very easily after warm up before I dump it in the water. A bump when warm is all it needs to start when warm. I have checked for a loose connection and havent found anything. It kicks out way to consistantly and always at the exact same moment while cranking. I'm not machanic but the consistantcy of the kickout doesnt seem like a loose connection to me.

when the starter decided it had had enough I was about a mile offshore in the puget sound and being pushed further out by the wind and tide before I was towed to shore ........I had gone out with a buddy in rough weather to do a little wave jumping I got a little wet being towed in. Salt water never tastes good.

Angry

As far as I know the flywheel was fine Mark, but like I said this shop.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information