Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would You COMPLETELY Tear Down an Ultra Engine with water in it or flush it somehow?

I have a brand new engine with water in the cylinders (not alot) frothy looking though. Will still run. The head gaskets leaked suggesting improper torque or warped heads/caps. I'm going to put everything on a flat bar and check them out. Would you guys yank the motor and clean it all out soaking the parts in 2 stroke or would you just clean out what you could and run it or fog it somehow? Any opinions. I want to tear it down myself but money and timing really sucks right now. This engine has $3000 in it already. New OEM Crank, New wisecos, New nicasil jugs, New Oil Pump/lines, new bearings, fresh dealer built carbs. I'm just spent. What would you do? What would Jetski Jesus do??? (I have to laugh cause I'm about to burn this pile to the ground). I went through 2 sbt motors and now this. I'm spent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated fellas.

+1
    You need to put the heads on, with proper torque, and run it. YOU'VE GOT ABOUT A DAY TO GET THE WATER OUT BEFORE MAJOR DAMAGE IS DONE, less in salt water. In this case, I'd re-use the gaskets and order new ones to install later. Are the head gaskets damaged?

If you can't get the heads to seal, I would pull the engine out and spray it down with mineral spirits, varsol, naptha, etc. to clean out stuff that shouldn't be in there. Dry it out with compressed air, then spray it with fogging oil. Make sure you get plenty of oil on the crank bearings and the wrist pin bearings.

Ultra 150, Head/Cylinder Top Gaskets Dry or Coated???? Torque possibly wasn't right.

Freshwater is in the case for sure. I cannot get heads to seal up to run, The gaskets are definitely shot (maybe hydro locked it), (they allow water back in/gasket cracked on cylinder 1).

I'm sucking the water out with a turkey baster/small hose and pouring two stroke oil in the case to lube the lower bearings and stuff til I can get the gaskets shipped. I have none at the moment.

Do you use any type of sealer/copper permatex on the head gaskets??

The gaskets wont be here a for a few days. I wont have time to mess with this til Saturday. Sucks. I stuck a zip tie down along the piston in the port and the bottom of the case was full of water on 1 and 3. If the damage is done, its done. Really blows but I think as long as I get the water out and soak all of it with oil this evening hoping it will be ok. All the water oulets/inlets are fine. Just bad torque it looks like or that permatex copper spray melted away, Heads are straight as an arrow on flat bar, not .001 off! dead on. The OEM book shows dry gasket, I don't know why this aftermarket gasket is showing the use of this permatex stuff. They were metal too. Any thoughts?

With that kind of money in the motor, I would be tearing it down immediately. If your going to burn it, send me the carbs.

+1
    I'd use OEM head gaskets and put them together dry.

Pulling the engine would make it easier to get all the water out, but if that's not really feasible, at least blow out out with compressed air. If you don't have a compressor, use a ShopVac to get the water out, or perhaps a heat lamp. Spray everything down real good with oil. I think you'll be OK if it hasn't sat very long.

All the water is out! Dodged a bullet maybe. New gaskets on the way! I got it all it seems. Used a syringe with fuel line attached to it. Put down intake port seems to work. I'm gonna flush it again with oil. That seems to be doing it. Just hope that the torque was the problem. Figure it might be worth it to replace the nuts on it while I'm at it.

I do have extra sets of carburetors for the ultra 150's. I'd rebuild them (not sure about diaphragms) but they look pristine. What are they going for?

Steve thank you very much! I'm a very detailed mechanic and just can't believe I did this.

Check the decking on the cylinders. I had a problem with my 00 sealing up. that turned out to be the problem. I had all 3 cylinders decked to match. I pressurized the cooling system with a compressor to 40 psi to find it. Im kind of partial to using copper coat on my stock gaskets

Your ultra troubles stop you from buying my ski? You could have told me you didnt want it btw....instead of having me sit around and get up extremely early on a sunday morning to wait for nothing.

Thats craigslist for ya!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information