Question Possible watercraft purchase

Hello all,

New here, and i have my eye on a 1996 XP, i have never owned a PWC, but have owned Ski-Doo's and other fun toys.

Possibly going to look at it this week.

I know to take along a compression tester, but what should be an ideal pressure?

What else should i look for as signs to stay away from or to check closely?

Reasonable price to pay for the time of year up here in Ontario Canada?

Thanks

+1
    Well, compression your going to want to make sure that its over 110 and that each cylinder is within 5-8psi of each other. You should check the wear ring for damage as well as the impeller. (the wear ring is the white plastic ring which encircles the impeller. I know its freezing up there but you should really take it for a test ride to make sure its running okay. Also check and see if the gray fuel lines are still being used as those wil cause the carbs to gunk up and you'll have to rebuild the carbs. Rebuilding carbs is VERY easy so dont be afraid of doing that. Other then that just look at the general condition of the ski and how it has been cared for etc etc.

i would prefer compression to be well over 110 ! closer to 150 is preferred.
    Grey fuel lines, overall condition of hull, fiberglass, any missing parts, vts working or not, rust or corrosion on carbs, are motor mounts solid, condition of steering cable, is electrical box (front and rear) clean and dry on the inside, do gauges work.
    Water test of course if possible.
    then, after carefully checking everything, assume the worst, and hope for the best.

Thanks for the tips guys. Looked at it the other day, and going back again sunday.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oct6454 View Post
    Well, compression your going to want to make sure that its over 110 and that each cylinder is within 5-8psi of each other. You should check the wear ring for damage as well as the impeller. (the wear ring is the white plastic ring which encircles the impeller. I know its freezing up there but you should really take it for a test ride to make sure its running okay. Also check and see if the gray fuel lines are still being used as those wil cause the carbs to gunk up and you'll have to rebuild the carbs. Rebuilding carbs is VERY easy so dont be afraid of doing that. Other then that just look at the general condition of the ski and how it has been cared for etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spimothy Leary View Post
    i would prefer compression to be well over 110 ! closer to 150 is preferred.
    Grey fuel lines, overall condition of hull, fiberglass, any missing parts, vts working or not, rust or corrosion on carbs, are motor mounts solid, condition of steering cable, is electrical box (front and rear) clean and dry on the inside, do gauges work.
    Water test of course if possible.
    then, after carefully checking everything, assume the worst, and hope for the best.
    Are you guys aure? I always thought that on the Sea-Doo motors ideal is 145-150 and anything under 130 is cause for concern and rebuild time.

+1
    I had always considered 110 to be the bare minimum.

Thread Information