Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2005 4tec rxt rebuild question

I would like to know what is the best way to get my rings to seat in? right now my compression is 90 psi on all three cylinders after the rebuild.

Who rebuilt it? Just FYI, these engines have moly rings, and shouldn't really need much break in to seat, provided your machinist used the right final grit (400). If he used 240, common with standard rings, well your rings won't ever seat right.

i rebuilt it .

i was told to let the motor get nice and hot to help the rings seat in because i used oil to help put the piston in during the build . that this would help them seat

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    is it smoking? running ok? sounds like cam timing may be off to get that low otherwise the blowby would be massive and obvious.

Why did you rebuild it?
    Did you do a valve?
    Just wondering if you honed it or bored?

The reason I rebuilt the ski is because it dropped a valve it did not do any damage to the cylinder walls just the piston and the head so I ordered a new piston and ring set for the whole ski figured while I was that far in I could clean every thing up put new ring in and just do a complete rebuild. But I didn't know that you where not able to oil the rings in so the question goes how do I get the rings to seat in now that I have the motor back to gather . My compression is 90 psi on every cylinder.

+1
    The cylinders must be honed for new rings.

Ok dumb question why would you hone the cylinders the ski only had 16 hours on it ever thing still looked new still had the crosstach from the factory.

+1

rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by 4pinwink View Post
    The reason I rebuilt the ski is because it dropped a valve it did not do any damage to the cylinder walls just the piston and the head so I ordered a new piston and ring set for the whole ski figured while I was that far in I could clean every thing up put new ring in and just do a complete rebuild. But I didn't know that you where not able to oil the rings in so the question goes how do I get the rings to seat in now that I have the motor back to gather . My compression is 90 psi on every cylinder.

you used some type of lubricant on the motor parts when you put it back together right ?__________

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information