Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2001 and 2004 MSX 150

Just bought these. They're both non running skis, the 04 is complete and intact, 01 engine is apart but looks like everything is there.
    Don't know what to do with them yet. Just couldn't pass up a good deal ... I hope
    Polarisitis strikes again! I'm now taking on 4 stroke before I even know what 2 stroke means
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120319_001.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	266848

+1
    They sure look nice. You remind me of my deals, just buy it if the price is good worry about what needs doing later

+1
    they have to be both 04's they only made the msx's 03 and 04

+1
    I did look at HIN on the black one, I know it's 04.
    Got to look at the other one again .... too bad they're sitting at my cousin's house. The wife didn't know I bought them yet

+1

Starting the black one

Did the magic on the wife, turned out she really likes their looks. So, good news for me <phew)

Hooked up battery to the black one and tried to start but it wouldn't turn over. Then I noticed then engine tried to lean over when starter engaged, so .... frozen pump may be?
    So I removed the pump but couldn't get it off. As I wiggled and pulled the stator out the drive shaft slides out with it, as it extents out it pinches the stator to ride plate and I got no more room left to pull It seems the impeller is frozen solid on the shaft.

Took out the cone then tried to turn the stub shaft with a large cresent wrench but there's not even a slight of play, the stator spins fine though. I figure if the engine is locked up there still has got to be a little play because there's clearance between the 2 couplers. So this has got to be one hell of a frozen pump case, and hopefully this is it, the only thing preventing the ski from running

+1
    My little dash of hope is gone!
    Got the impeller out and found a bump on wear ring, not sure how it got there, but it's what holding up the impeller stopping engine from turning. Stator bearings is in perfect shape.
    Tried to start and she turned over but won't start, kept checking and found there're no spark plugs, hmm .... took a peep down throttle, dang! it looks so dirty. I ain't gonna try to start her again until she's clean. Like most of you guys, I don't like it when I don't know what I'm sitting on out in the water.
    Looks like complete inspection/rebuilt is in order
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120323_001.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	267102

+1

20 buck helper

Comparing the 2, engine from the silver one actually is in better condition and since previous owner already had somewhat apart, so I switched gear. I'll work on the silver one first, leaving the black one intact, this way I can refer back to it to see where everything goes.

I thought the 1200 cc in a 2 seater was crampy. Well I was sooooooooo wrong! This thing is packed tight!!!
    Try to suspend an engine that weights more than me with one hand while turning a screw with other hand at 1/8 turn at a time is noooooooo fun at all. I want to get a cherry picker or a hoist to help with the task but there's really no room left in my garage to store it when I'm done. So, I decided to build one out of 2x4 planks that I can take a apart when done and won't cost me couple hundred bucks.
    Off to shopping, and the light bulb lit up when I saw this Sawhorse bracket, it really simplifies the hoist I had in mind. Worked good too, got the engine out.
    $7 Sawhorse bracket, set of 2
    $2.50 for 2x4x8ft pine blank (3) pcs
    $6 for 2 tie downs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120326_001.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	267368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120326_005.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	267370  

+1
    Necessity is the mother of invention

+1
    Great idea on building the sawhorse style brackets. I just may need to steal that idea.

The ratchet straps work well, but they also can be a real finger pincher especially when lowering something when there's that much tension on them. I would suggest you spend a little bit of money on your setup and purchase a chain hoist like this one: http://www.ruralking.com/hoist-chain-1-ton.html

These are so nice because you can comfortably stand on the floor and easily hoist the engine out of the hull. Then, to lower the load you just pull the chain from the opposite side. Easy Peezy lemon squeezy!

KJ

+1
    I'll definitely have one when doing the other ski. Thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information