Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2008 FX HO - New Out of the Box - What to look for.

Guys, just laid down the deposit on a 2008 FH-HO, going to get it this weekend. The wife's cruiser was already broken in and ready to go when I bought it last year. I never thought I would find a 08 new. Anyone out there with a 08 that has any pointers and things to do and not do on this ski or will it be pretty much crank and go like the wifes?

Can wait to splash it!

Regards

Oh Boy!!! This topic is just one notch below the "SeaDoo vs Yamaha debate!! You're gonna hear two different recommendations---one is "ride it like you stole it" from the first minute and the other is to follow the manufacturer's break in recommendations--in the end, you'll have to choose.

I did follow Yamaha's recommendations breaking in my '10 FXHOs--as I recall, it was something like varying the max rpm and no full acceleration throttle runs for the first 2 hours---I put the ski in "learn" or "slow" mode and rode it for 2 hours then I "rode it like I stole it" from then on---had no issue or problems--now have 39 hours.

Sea Doo is so serious about proper break in that they program into their ECUs on new skis RPM and acceleration limits for the first 5 hours.

Not sure what the recommendations are for the '08s but I'm sure its in the owner's manual---read it then you can determine how onerous it is and which breakin method is for you....

And congrats on finding a new "08---great ski!!

Thanks, hoping it's not too good to be true. Pinch me...LOL. I never had to do a break in with my other skis since they were all used. But what I wanted to make sure there were no funky issues. Couple of posts I read that 2-3 people on board they were top heavy. Won't be too much of a issue since wife has hers and I have mine. But occasionally we do have friends that ride and if it's tippy I want to give the friends the cruiser to ride and I will ride mine since I have the greater experience.

i kept it under 30mph and never had the same throttle point for more than a few seconds for the first few hours, I also did a few close to full throttle runs to seat the piston seals.. Check out the How-to or FAQ sections, it's listed in there.

Thanks! How many hours have you got on yours now?

+1
    Congrats!
    Take the break-in serioursley!
    These FX HO at least the MR-1 do start consuming oil in many cases! I'm wondering if its mostly due to improper break-in! Now that you have a new one, I would make sure to do a proper break-in!

Have fun

I got the 08. I'd recommend following the break-in procedure like Reza said. I don't know that it will reduce the long term oil consumption, but couldn't hurt. My ski goes through maybe an extra 1/2 - 3/4 quart per season, so not much oil use at this point, but they all do it over time. There are a few minor internal differences between the 08 and earlier models, not much. Make sure the dealer has done the hose/clamp upgrade.

The 08 has the Nano hull, so it sets a little higher in the water on plane. It also uses a different intake grate (same as the SHO), so you will notice a ride difference between it and the 07, but not huge. It is maybe a little bit more tippy than the earlier models, but you still have to work at turning it over. It will also run around 1 mph faster than the 07 due to the hull. I HIGHLY recommend not beaching the 08. The Nano hull shows scratches like crazy. My brother has an 06 FX HO Cruiser and I have the 08, so I've spent considerable time on both skis. I'm not convinced that the Nano hull is an advantage.

What did you pay for it? I'd love to find another one.

Thanks on the advice. What is the hose clamp upgrade? I havent paid for it yet, I will post pictures once I have it in hand. Picking it up on Saturday.

hours

Quote Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
    Thanks! How many hours have you got on yours now?
    Something like 26, we had high water most of last summer so I only put a few hours on last year..

Quote Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
    What is the hose clamp upgrade?
    Yamaha issued a "Code 90" on the cooling hoses and clamps for the 06-08 FX HOs. It is just short of a recall. They don't notify you that there is a problem, but they fix it if you take the ski to a dealer, even if you are not the original owner, and even if its out of warranty. Problem was the hoses coming off while you are riding and filling the ski up with water. A couple of guys nearly sank their skis. I'd check it on the 07 also. They can run the HIN or the other ID number on the ski and tell if its been done or not. I'm betting that its already been done, but you want to make sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information