Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smoke on the Hose and Light Throttle Sputter/Die

Got a weird situation going on here.... Ski hasn't been run since September. Over the winter I have done the following....R2 Re-Flash, C3 Wheel, JD/Fizzle IC w/ dedicated water line, and a couple other odds and ends that won't effect the way the engine runs. I have a PowerShot, but it is not installed yet.
    I fired the ski up yesterday for the first time....After about a minute of running, it started letting out a light white smoke out of the exhaust. It also sputters a little a a light off idle rev....Died twice while doing it....Hard rev is fine. It feels real smooth and strong. There are no water leaks, or vacuum leaks (as far as I can tell... 17-20 on the AM gauge)

All last year with the stock computer, wheel, and ECM I never had either issue...Anyone have a clue?

Oil level is at the top of the range on the stick, and the plugs are brand new. 17.5 Hour Ski.

I should add. I ran it on the hose 15 minutes yesterday...and then again today...Same issues. I did put fuel stabilizer in it over the winter also.

+1
    it could be the fuel stabilizer in the fuel. it is possible you are burning a bit of oil if its white smoke, pull the plugs and check them is it breathing at all.

Plugs look fine...But it only has about 30 minutes of idle time over the last 2 days...Hasn't been on the water yet. I have wideband, but I'm waiting for the R&D O2 adapter before I can utilize it see what the AFR is at idle.

Does stabilizer usually cause the smoke? This is the first winter I ever used it.

+1
    I had a somewhat similar issue. My oil was overfilled by the dealer and it caused a little white smoke on the hose and the ski would cut out on the hose. I removed the extra quart of oil and problem solved. Worth a check.

+1
    i agree not sure about the fuel stabilizer it is highly possible. i know in the old days if you put these fuel additives in a car they would smoke stp was notorious for it. might be worth taking the plugs out put some cloth in the holes one by one hold it down and crank it see if you get any oil on the cloth.. then put it on a hose and run it at 5000 rpm for 5 mins see if it clears.

+1
    check the sc as well make sure oil is not getting in through there.

+1
    i don't trust gas stabilizer for that length of time, drain it and try fresh fuel !!!!!!! oil would be blueish, rich would be black, just bad fuel is going to be white. try it, its not worth trying to burn off the old fuel, just siphon it out and pour it in your truck of car, it isn't as finicky and will be diluted buy the fuel in the tank already

+1
    I live in Canada and use fuel stabilizer from October to April. Never been an issue.

Thanks for all the quick responses guys. I plan on changing the oil tomorrow so guess I will start there. Like I mentioned, the stick reads at the top of the range, so IDK if thats the issue, but the oil needs to be changed anyway.

If the problem is still there, I will check the charger, however I do not have the hose from the breather box run to it any more...Is there an onother way oi would get injected via the charger??

Mike, I saw your thread about when you had the same problem...I ran to the ski to check the oil LOL...

Big John, It figures I have 3/4 tank right now, but if I strike out with the oil and charger, I will try that...Thanks!...and like you said the rich would be black smoke, and oil would be bluish...It is definitely white and doesn't have a hint of burnt oil smell.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information