Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    92
    +1
    8

    Cool Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO VS Sea Doo RXT X ??????

    It's time to change, I love my actual XLT '01 2 cycles with some modifications is fast for me (66 mph GPS), but again is time to change to 4 cycle I tried to avoid that but the time is over, in the past I had two Sea Doo XP 800 cc, but Yamaha is more realible in 2 cylce. NOW, The question is
    Sea doo or Yamaha,I was decided by Yamaha, but I want to be sure because the investment is much, two weeks ago, I went to a competitions, and for me surprise all skis (with modifications) were Sea doo's and only 2 Kawasaki, NOT Yamaha's modified, there is some reason? someone mentioned that modify sea doo was cheaper that Yamaha and more durable. My intention is to buy it in April and modify it in summer. Thanks for your opinion.


  2. #2
    NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    858
    +1
    33
    What type of riding do you do? That has an impact on the choice.

    And for what it's worth, I wouldn't bother getting an RXTX over an RXT. They have the same power now - there are only minor differences such as the handlebars and colors. I'd pocket the $1000.

  3. #3
    Toobold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Belleville, IL
    Posts
    486
    +1
    5
    Ok here is my take. I had a 08 FX SHO Cruiser and traded for a 2010 Rxt-X 260. Both are great skis. Let me start with the Yamaha. The ski is PLUSH!!! Cruise, no wake and plenty of storage and a very smooth running 1800 (1.8L) engine that ONLY requires 87 octane. I ended up putting 78hrs on my SHO before I traded for a Seadoo RXT-X 260. Now the Sea-Doo has some cool items. A very fast, but tweaked tight (1400cc engine),GPS speed, IBR (BRAKE and Reverse on left handle bar) and very quick for a 3-seater, but recommends you run 92 octane in the ski to ward off spark-knocking. (never had a problem with that). Now one of the main differences in skis is the hull. My SHO was very good in chop, but with the Yamaha NANO hull, i def. felt more of the hits from waves throughout the whole ski, because hull is very light. Also, if you get any scuffs on the Yamaha hull, you are going to see them since the top layer is the only part that is black. The Sea-doo hull is great, because its heavy and a true fiberglass hull at unlike the yamaha, I don't feel the hit of the waves throughout the ski like I did on the Yamaha. I really have enjoyed both ski's and right now, I have 81hrs on my SeaDoo RXT-X 260, but seriously considering heading back to Yamaha here in a few months. I am not a mod-type of person and like a ski that is very reliable, which both are, but I just feel that the 1800cc Yamaha engine is not working as hard as the Seadoo and I can run 87 octane in the Yamaha, which a lot of docks have and not worry about spark-knock. Also, Seadoo has a lot of electronic features (IBR for one, where Yamaha has used more of a mechanical approach. Now Yamaha requires more effort for reverse, but I just wonder how long the electronics will hold up on my Seadoo system and sure don't want to pay the cost to replace those parts in the long run. Again, both skis are AWESOME, but I am a long distance rider now and miss my storage that I had with the Yamaha. Either route you take, you will be fine, because these two companies have done there homework

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    92
    +1
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy89 View Post
    What type of riding do you do? That has an impact on the choice.

    And for what it's worth, I wouldn't bother getting an RXTX over an RXT. They have the same power now - there are only minor differences such as the handlebars and colors. I'd pocket the $1000.

    My riding is 100% in the salt water , Modified the ski without problems (75 mph) is my goal and run a full day without issues.

  5. #5
    NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    858
    +1
    33
    If you're 100% salt water, you may really like the closed loop of the Sea Doo. What kind of waves do you have where you ride? That's what I originally meant in my question.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Aliso Viejo
    Posts
    951
    +1
    75
    As you mentioned Yamaha is light years behind when it comes down to electronics. They even eliminated their half ass display that was available on cruiser models and only offer it on the SHO cruiser!

    Also as you mentioned Yamaha engine does not work as hard and is likely to outlast other models. BTW,your doo is 1500cc I think.

    I rode a ski like yours and I loved it The display panel is a state of art. Takes years for others in the business to match!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toobold View Post
    Ok here is my take. I had a 08 FX SHO Cruiser and traded for a 2010 Rxt-X 260. Both are great skis. Let me start with the Yamaha. The ski is PLUSH!!! Cruise, no wake and plenty of storage and a very smooth running 1800 (1.8L) engine that ONLY requires 87 octane. I ended up putting 78hrs on my SHO before I traded for a Seadoo RXT-X 260. Now the Sea-Doo has some cool items. A very fast, but tweaked tight (1400cc engine),GPS speed, IBR (BRAKE and Reverse on left handle bar) and very quick for a 3-seater, but recommends you run 92 octane in the ski to ward off spark-knocking. (never had a problem with that). Now one of the main differences in skis is the hull. My SHO was very good in chop, but with the Yamaha NANO hull, i def. felt more of the hits from waves throughout the whole ski, because hull is very light. Also, if you get any scuffs on the Yamaha hull, you are going to see them since the top layer is the only part that is black. The Sea-doo hull is great, because its heavy and a true fiberglass hull at unlike the yamaha, I don't feel the hit of the waves throughout the ski like I did on the Yamaha. I really have enjoyed both ski's and right now, I have 81hrs on my SeaDoo RXT-X 260, but seriously considering heading back to Yamaha here in a few months. I am not a mod-type of person and like a ski that is very reliable, which both are, but I just feel that the 1800cc Yamaha engine is not working as hard as the Seadoo and I can run 87 octane in the Yamaha, which a lot of docks have and not worry about spark-knock. Also, Seadoo has a lot of electronic features (IBR for one, where Yamaha has used more of a mechanical approach. Now Yamaha requires more effort for reverse, but I just wonder how long the electronics will hold up on my Seadoo system and sure don't want to pay the cost to replace those parts in the long run. Again, both skis are AWESOME, but I am a long distance rider now and miss my storage that I had with the Yamaha. Either route you take, you will be fine, because these two companies have done there homework

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Aliso Viejo
    Posts
    951
    +1
    75
    Although closed loop is nice but look at these rentals with 1800 hours on the Yamaha skis! I really don't think if one takes care of it, they would have issues compared to closed loop! Even the closed loop system needs to be flushed and more maintenance! Over 90% of boat engines are using open loop system!
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy89 View Post
    If you're 100% salt water, you may really like the closed loop of the Sea Doo. What kind of waves do you have where you ride? That's what I originally meant in my question.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Aliso Viejo
    Posts
    951
    +1
    75
    SuperDavid,

    My 2 cent is if you are going to keep the ski for long term use, meaning 5 years or so and really put hours on it, you'd better off with the Yamaha!
    I know of people who trade their skis in at about every 2 years, in that case buy the one you like the most when you go to the dealer!

    The new 2012 SHO is a sexy ski and has lots of storage. I would really doubt a modified seadoo be more durable than a modified Yami! Doo and Kawi engines are being pushed really hard where the 1800cc Yami is hardly used up to its potential!
    Quote Originally Posted by superdavid View Post
    It's time to change, I love my actual XLT '01 2 cycles with some modifications is fast for me (66 mph GPS), but again is time to change to 4 cycle I tried to avoid that but the time is over, in the past I had two Sea Doo XP 800 cc, but Yamaha is more realible in 2 cylce. NOW, The question is
    Sea doo or Yamaha,I was decided by Yamaha, but I want to be sure because the investment is much, two weeks ago, I went to a competitions, and for me surprise all skis (with modifications) were Sea doo's and only 2 Kawasaki, NOT Yamaha's modified, there is some reason? someone mentioned that modify sea doo was cheaper that Yamaha and more durable. My intention is to buy it in April and modify it in summer. Thanks for your opinion.

  9. #9
    NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    858
    +1
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    Although closed loop is nice but look at these rentals with 1800 hours on the Yamaha skis! I really don't think if one takes care of it, they would have issues compared to closed loop! Even the closed loop system needs to be flushed and more maintenance! Over 90% of boat engines are using open loop system!
    Everyone's desires are different. I just wanted to point it out to the OP. I own both a closed loop and open loop ski.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    SuperDavid,

    My 2 cent is if you are going to keep the ski for long term use, meaning 5 years or so and really put hours on it, you'd better off with the Yamaha!
    I know of people who trade their skis in at about every 2 years, in that case buy the one you like the most when you go to the dealer!

    The new 2012 SHO is a sexy ski and has lots of storage. I would really doubt a modified seadoo be more durable than a modified Yami! Doo and Kawi engines are being pushed really hard where the 1800cc Yami is hardly used up to its potential!
    Instead of doubting the ability of a modified Sea Doo able to do 75 mph, why not look back at the proof? It's the same basic motor for the past several years. It's plenty capable of this. Especially with the faster S3 hulls. It will be strictly bolt ons to get to that speed.

    Neither the Yamaha or the Sea Doo will have engine issues long term in 75 mph guise.

  10. #10
    Brewster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    Posts
    317
    I think it comes down what color you like...lol, I mean the all black thing on Seadoo looks nice when new but it could mean lot of water spots in the salt, after a few seasons.
    I have shopped both of these models myself(Sho vs. RXT) and I think the Seadoo gives you a lot more for the money. Both brands give great performance, fit and function. There pretty equal, but like like Reza said, you get a lot more electronic features on the Doo.
    I think you will find out also that many Seadoo dealers have a lot more room to wheel and deal on the RXT, and I know from what was qouted to me, was a lot less the than the SHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. help me decide Yamaha FX SVHO vs Sea-Doo RXT-260
    By truwrxtacy in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-12-2017, 11:09 AM
  2. 2005 Seadoo GTX LTD vs 2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO
    By not2fast in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-07-2015, 04:54 PM
  3. Sea Doo RXT X vs Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO??????
    By superdavid in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 11:16 PM
  4. 2011 Seadoo RXT-Xas 260 or 2011 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO
    By PWC_FUN in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 12:47 PM
  5. Yamaha FX Cruiser seat vs. Yamaha FX seat
    By STAX68 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 09:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •