Crank Case Sealant/Crank Question

Just split my case to inspect the crank on my GP1200... Doesn't seem to be any signs of wear or noise in the bearings... Anything specific I should be looking for ?

Also noting there was no sealant of any kind between the case halves... Is that how they came from Yamaha? If so why does everyone recommend using the 1211 sealant upon reassembly... My concern is getting sealant squishing into the inside of the case when I put it back together....

Going with a Prox / LA Sleeve Top end... from Atlantic Jet sports. std bore.

Was also considering buying a rebuilt crankshaft from them but don't want to spend money needlessly.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

+1
    Are you sure there isn't any sealant? There should be. I used 1211. The first time I used too much and it squished out inside and made a mess. I took it back apart and cleaned up that mess. Just put a little bit on and smear it nice and thin and flat with your finger. maybe even spread it so its slightly favored towards the outer edge, follow me?

the machined surface on your block is so close fit you may not see sealant as to be almost non existant.. 1211 is also my sealent of choice for yami motor cases and cylinders ( they make yamabond from what I can find).A paper thin smear to one surface is all you need , but also make sure to use it very spairingly around any oil feed passages..

+1
    What does happen if you put too much on and it does "squish" inside?

+1
    Its just messy and nasty. It might stick to the crank as it spins around, maybe get in the bearings, and chunks might get sucked up in the combustion chamber. Might not too much but I'd rather not have all over the place.

Yeah that was my concern with using too much and it getting somewhere it didn't belong... Unless Either of those products dry clear, mine had absolutely nothing but thread sealer on the main cap bolts. I'm gonna use 1211 on it for sure, I just thought it was odd there was nothing on mine.

Has anyone had any experience with either rebuilt or brand new cranks from Atlantic Jetsports? I'm thinking of biting the bullet for reliability sake and just replacing my crank. It really don't seem bad but I can feel a little rough spot on one of my bearings when I turn it.... No visible signs of wear or damage though....

Any recommendations on replacement cranks?

machined surfaces when they get to yamahas level of tolerence, are technicaly able to be joined with out sealer.. thou would I do it with out? nope.. unless you get carried away with 1211 ,youll be fine..just remember paper thin ( at this thickness it shouldnt span any holes to cause concern of blocking something off..I normally only wipe sealer onto the outer 2/3 of any sealing surface and have not had leak or clog issues,as it will squish into the uncoated areas.. check into PROTECH and see if they still redo cranks..Everything I have from them has been 1st class.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bdebruler View Post
    Just split my case to inspect the crank on my GP1200... Doesn't seem to be any signs of wear or noise in the bearings... Anything specific I should be looking for ?

Also noting there was no sealant of any kind between the case halves... Is that how they came from Yamaha? If so why does everyone recommend using the 1211 sealant upon reassembly... My concern is getting sealant squishing into the inside of the case when I put it back togethe

Going with a Prox / LA Sleeve Top end... from Atlantic Jet sports. std bore.

Was also considering buying a rebuilt crankshaft from them but don't want to spend money needlessly.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
    Might want to pressure test after assembly.

Thread Information