Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Puts motor oil on his pancakes Hockeydude's Avatar

OPAS block off kit work on a 185hp ski?

I want to buy a OPAS blockoff kit for my 2003 GTX supercharged (it gets a bit squirly at high speeds because of it). But on the riva site it says its for 215/255hp skis in the product title (not in the description). Will it work on 185hp skis? I was under the impression the OPAS system was the same.

it makes the ski alot more manouverable and agile, you can flick it round like a 2 seater xp, not advised for beginners though as you have to apply power to turn once they are off, once you get used to it you'll love it

if you want to try before you buy just remove the paddles off the arms, the reason they get sketchy at high speed is because the are on spring sliders , the faster you go, the force the water generates overides the spring pressure and the paddles push up and out the water, after time, these sliders seize with sand/salt. so your paddle stays hooked into the water at high speeds, i removed mine and have never looked back, there is more steering lock on the pump nozzle than the angle that the paddles turn, they dont turn parralel, so imo they restrict your steering ability.

I know I want to do this guys, thats not the question. I've been riding PWC's since 1992 and my last ride was a highly modded 2000 Polaris SLX (one of the most spin happy rides out there)
    I asked Riva directly and they said its because the holes on the plates don't line up perfecly with the 185 skis like they do on the 215/255 skis. But that people still buy them knowing there is some modification required. I asked how much work it would take and I haven't heard back. So is anybody out there that did an OPAS removal on a 185 ski?

+1
    i had the same ski and removed them,as far as i know, the mounting holes were the same...that series GTX/RXT hulls were identical i believe.....the opas system on the 185's worked slightly different though

+1
    that kit will work on the gtx for sure im running it, but after around 70 mph mine starts to bounce pretty good. it started after the riva grate not sure how it would act with the opas stil on. it was night and day when i removed mine all around better feel and steering response

I'll order a set! thanks guys. This is more of a family ski, no modding planned other than possibly replacing the plastic pump housing with an aluminum one if I can ever find one for a decent price.

+1
    Go the R&D version, they dont use oring seals so bit more tolerant to different hole placement. Just use "The right stuff"

Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    Go the R&D version, they dont use oring seals so bit more tolerant to different hole placement. Just use "The right stuff"
    I was looking into the R&D version also. It looks like the Riva version doesn't come with the cap for the fitting on the pump housing that raises the paddles?

+1
    It should do but not sure as i used the R&D (riva was out of stock at the time)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information