Red face How long do ultra 150s last?

Hey what's up guys. I just picked up a 2001 ultra 150. Paid 2800 for it with a trailer.. Good deal? Anyways I was wondering and wanted to ask. How many hours will a ultra 150 reach before you have to rebuild it? My ultra gots 110 and i wanted to know how much more life she's got in it.

Btw.... I took it out yesterday on the lake and man she hauls!!! The water was cristal clear and I hit 55 pretty easy. Does it really hit 70 fellas?

Welcome to the board. First thing to do is check compression on all 3 cylinders. You should see no more than 10% difference between the cylinders. if you do then you may need a top end. As for doing 70 yes it can with some work. Start by doing some runs with a gps to see where your really at then mod from there. Next read up on the ultra 150 mods threat at the top of the 2 stroke section. That will tell you alot about what it takes to do 70 on an ultra. Or just go strait for stupid and throw a set of tripple pipes on it 75+ lol. Yes i have done that!

Ok cool! Thanks for all the info! Also when I took my jet out yesterday it seemed like it wasn't as strong as it should be. I mean it was running great started up just fine doesn't bog what so ever but it just wasn't as strong as I thought it would be. Would old spark plugs affect the jet and not let it run as strong? Because the guy who I just got it from said he doesn't remember the last time he changed them. And I also think it had a little old gas in it.

Thats a loaded question. It depends on the owner. Do all Pit Bulls attack? Same concept applies to the Ultra. A smart owner will have one that lasts forever because he will know when to change the oil lines and to get a triple pisser kit to make sure it stays running. They usually last alot longer when you don't do any mods to the engine but if you must, read read read. The slightest modification without knowledge will cost you a motor. Stock they will do 63-65 give ot take on GPS. Become familiar with this site and check out ultra150.yuku.com. Reading the forums and learning all you can is key.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Ultra150top!

Plugs can make it run badly, as can bad gas. Don't take a chance on bad gas because it can plug up the fuel filter and carbs, resulting in a lean condition. This will burn up the engine quickly. Take a look at the spark plugs, they should be nice and brown. As Morris said, do a compression test. If the oil lines haven't been replaced, plan to do that because they'll get brittle and crack. Consider the triple pisser mod, as well as a cooling water strainer.

The pumps on the Ultra are short-lived, when you get it rebuilt, make sure they put the 3 seal kit in it. The engines are good for about 150-250 hours before they need a top overhaul. There was a guy on the 'other' Ultra website that had about 800 hours on his Ultra, but he had overhauled it several times.

You could buy that gauge cluster cheap. lol

Hello all - first post to this forum. I also just recently bought a 2001 Ultra 150 in March of this year. It only had 80 hrs when I purchased - I have a 2006 Seadoo Supercharged 215 RXT. The Ultra can actually keep up with it when the Seadoo has a full load and the Ultra is a single rider. The dream meter has had it at 68 MPH ... I really don't care to make it any faster , I LOVE the handling and jumping this ski has over my Seadoo. I will read the mods to make this ski last from a maintenance stand point ( triple pisser kit & checking of oil lines). I also have (2) - yes (2) Sport Cruiser's ... or ... sea couch's! GREAT forum - GREAT information.

+1
    Welcome aboard, fpampan!

The Ultra is a different animal from the other 2-strokes. They do require periodic maintenance or they get expensive very quickly. The triple pisser and oil line replacement is a very good thing to do. I'd recommend securing the oil lines with stainless safety wire, instead of those OEM spring clamps. (I LIKE spring clamps, but those are simply too weak). While you're working on the oil lines, inspect the cable for the oil pump. I'd bet money it's frayed.

I've added a coolant water strainer to mine to keep trash out of the engine. Buy a good strainer and carry a 1/2" bass hose splice with you just in case the strainer springs a leak. It will fill the hull very quickly if it does. I like the Groco strainers.

I've also got the stinger mod--it probably helps a little.

Pull the electronic display out and seal the rubber plug on the back with 3M 5200 sealant. As old as it is, it won't seal and will let water in if you flip the 'Ski--and those are expensive.

Plan to overhaul the jet pump about every 100 hours or so. Make sure you (they) install the later triple seal kit.

Plan to do a top overhaul on the engine every 150 - 200 hours. Use GOOD parts (OEM is good, SBT is bad). Do NOT let this engine run lean. Use StaBil or other fuel treatment to prevent carburetor gum and top off the tank after each outing to prevent condensation.

The oil level gauge won't move until the tank is nearly empty. Don't depend on it, check the level visually every outing.

The 'Ski is a LOT more fun if you adjust the trim cable to give more up trim. Some people cut the cable shorter, I made a new bracket for the nozzle on mine. My trim goes from neutral to UP. The original setup had no up at all.

A lot of people like the Shredmaster rideplate, I haven't tried one.

A primer will make it a lot easier to start when cold, but DO NOT remove the chokes on stock carbs! Do not use aftermarket flame arrestors with stock carb, either! Either one will result in a lean mixture unless you modify the carbs.

There are a lot of tricks & mods, but these will keep you running reliably. btldigger can help you make it faster.

+1

All Good Information

What is written above is all good information to help you make your ski return you to your launch ramp at the end of the day (under it's own power) - after a fun filled day.

There is also no doubt that the information that Morris (btldigger) has taken the time to document and share with us all is definately "tried and proven" to not only make you go faster, but to minimize the possibility of a break-down as well.

I think such info is also posted here on this Forum, but here is the documented formula he shared with us:

http://ultra150.yuku.com/topic/2494/...-the-ultra-150

I picked and pulled from this information and got my ski ranked pretty high on the "Fun Factor" scale

I also got it past 70 MPH on GPS.

IMO - most "fun for the buck" was BH Sponsons + SM Rideplate + R&D Intake Grate + R&D Pump Extender Nozzle = Ultra-150 with that definate "Sports Car Feel"

Good Luck!!!

Wow Steve45 - I thought I had too many toys!!!! Thanks for the welcome and reply. Again with 4 ski's and a family my mind set is ease of use with proper maintenance.

Thanks for mentioning/pointing out the oil indicator. I had already been checking the oil level and thought that my indicator for the oil was shot. Just looks like an undocumented feature of the Ultra

I have read bltdigger post to this forum and others on ultra 150 ownership and as Spooling indicated I will pick and choose from a maintenance perspective. Do you have pictures on your mod to the trim? Bltdigger trick seems pretty straight forward - and I LOVE coming up out of the water with the Ultra. When I do let my wife ride it , she can always trim down a bit to make it jump less. My wife though would want me to make the Ultra , or my RXT, go as FAST as possible - she is a SPEED DEMON.

I need to search a bit more on the Shredmaster plate. I have noticed the Ultra bobs/ porpoise when idling and low speeds , even when the nose is not weighed down with a full tank of gas.

I am going to reply to a post that alludes to the Ultra being unstable. Not sure if this is at high speeds , or the porpoising at idle. I can handle the proposing but want to make sure that there is not a known problem with stability of the craft at high speeds ... b/c like my wife , i will go as fast as the machine lets me most of the time.

Again - THANKS!

Frank

Thread Information