Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stability issues on Ultra 150

Ok guys I thought I'd come to some of the most experienced people at this in the US anywho. I have a 2004 Ultra 150, they are small fast ski's, but it is all I have to fish from. I made Gator's pvc rack few years ago and it worked great. I want to start trolling off our beaches and I am concerned that if I fall off I have no way of getting back on. Boarding from the side of an Ultra150 is impossible. So I am trying to get ideas to ditch the rack off the back and possibly go to a fish bag in the foot gunnel and trolling with the SeaSucker pole holders from the mid front. I am still hesitate about the price, but see this as no holes and removable.

Also any ideas of possible pole holders that are more towards the back, possibly around the boarding grip handle? I attached pictures of my current set up that I use in the river, as I am likely to never fall off. Keep in mind this ski's stability sucks, I weight about 200lbs so thats not the issue. Even as much as turning around on it can be touchy at times with so much weight on the back. I am selling my 91 Superjet so I am hoping to get about $1200 to invest in something towards this hobby.

+1
    Before I get started: Nice rack up there in those pix

Just for ideas, I would check out JSB's set up: Not that you have to go all out, but you may see just a piece of what he has that you're looking for in a set-up. Not being able to board as the ski is designed is a huge issue and risk, so you def. want to keep that in mind if heading off shore. I don't know much about the fish keeper in the gunwales, but I've seen fishermen that do the tow behind thing - kind of looks like a small, fabric body-board in tow. I guess that could be a possibility, but maybe not cheap.

BTW, for it's age - that is one clean, sharp looking Ultra.

Thanks Gator. I do take a lot of pride in how good I take care of my ski's. I have read alot and browsed through JSB's set ups and the Hawaii/New Zealand approach. I think I may be looking at putting fishing pole holders more towards the front and take the rack off. Safety first. I guess trial and error and some work in the garage will be in order. I am posting my classified of my Superjet in the For Sale if you want to see how good my 91 looks.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I hate to say it , but I wouldnt fish off a 150....I rode them from 2000 to 2007 and they are not the most stable skis....as you already know.....heres a couple of pics of a simple set up to get your rods out to fish with room to get back on if you do come off the ski....Good Luck.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-05-20 VXS Fishin Rig 009.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	267156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-05-20 VXS Fishin Rig 006.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	267157  

Sold the Superjet this morning...got $1200 to play with

Hey all, I just joined this forum I have a ultra 150 and rigging it with fish finder transducer etc. how is the stability because I have not rode it and where did you mount your trandsucer?

+1
    Can's speak about the transducer, but from what I saw a friend do, I don't think you'll have any stability issues w/the Ultra. The hull loves chop anyway...

Ok sweet, thanks, also, do you know how fast your friend ski was going (ultra 150) at top speed? What's better for utra 150 wave jumping or flat water racing?

+1
    Keeping in mind I'm a SeaDoo guy... try contacting Lasportsmn, he's a moderator here on the 'hulk. I think he did some light mods and had his Ultra over 60mph, but I'm not for certain what his best top speed was eventually.

The same friend does CC racing via his Kawi 300X; I'm not sure but I don't know if there was a big difference in hull designs. At least historically, the Kawi was well known as "King of the Chop", so I don't think the Ultra would be the hull of choice for wave jumping.

But contact Lasportsmn, he can prob. give you some better advice. Finally, welcome to the 'hulk.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Keeping in mind I'm a SeaDoo guy... try contacting Lasportsmn, he's a moderator here on the 'hulk. I think he did some light mods and had his Ultra over 60mph, but I'm not for certain what his best top speed was eventually.

The same friend does CC racing via his Kawi 300X; I'm not sure but I don't know if there was a big difference in hull designs. At least historically, the Kawi was well known as "King of the Chop", so I don't think the Ultra would be the hull of choice for wave jumping.

But contact Lasportsmn, he can prob. give you some better advice. Finally, welcome to the 'hulk.
    Billy, I think you guys are talking about 2 different skis. He's not talking about an Ultra - LX, like GL, but the lighter faster Ultra 150 they made years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information