sho 08 running problems

Hi guys,

i've been looking all over the forum and haven't found an answer to my problems, so i'm turning to all of you if you could help me.

I have a 08 sho cruiser and when the winter began i didnt't winterize my sho because i decided to start it up for every 14 days so i can avoid winterizing. Then in the middle of winter my battery stop working. From then i didn't run my sho anymore till one week ago. I buy a new battery and spark plugs to change and prepare for new season. When i changed battery i try to start engine and it wont start without adding some throttle and when i add it, it sounds and runs very strange. Then i changed the spark plugs and the problem still remains. The engine without adding some power it won't even run and when it runs it sounds like it is running only on 3 piston and it looks like that the motor makes improper combustion because it makes a lot of smoke. I checked every spark plug if it works and it works i checked the gas pump and it works, i checked the oil and its great. What is strange that i noticed when i unscrew the gas separator it driped a few water drops. I never noticed that before. Im really running out of ideas what could be wrong. I would be grateful for your help. Tnx and i apologize for my english

greetings from Slovenia

+1
    since you changed plugs. make sure the electrical connectors to the coils are fully connected. unplug each grey connector and re-connect. listen for the "click" sound. Happened to me once. plug looked connected, but wasn't locked in. ski ran like crap on 3 cylinders.

Also, what plugs did you use and what gap?

Before i changed the spark plugs i try to run the motor on old plugs and the engine sounds the same. So i even try that, what you said KamikazeGPR to re-connect grey connectors but its the same. I even try to take out each plug and start the engine so i could see that the plugs are working ok. I put the NGK LFR6A-11 spark plug, but i resize the gap to 0.9mm like it is on LFR6A. And yes, the engine working on 3 cilinders really sounds like crap.

Is there any posibility that humidity from gas or i dont know from where could damage the piston rings????

Tnx

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    check compression might have a stuck ring or a valve.

Bad gas? Water condensated in the gas tank. You guys had a pretty cold winter, right?

Jim's performance

i will check the compresion and in the worst case if i found out the compresion failure, is there any other way to fix this or will i have to change the cylinders?

Brewster

When i saw that from separator drop some water i thought on bad gas, so i even go to bought cca. 15 litres of new gas and add it to the old one and nothing better. Yes we normaly have cold winters but this year wasnt so cold and that was the reason that i didnt't witnerize the engine.

tnx you both

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by zko View Post
    Jim's performance

i will check the compresion and in the worst case if i found out the compresion failure, is there any other way to fix this or will i have to change the cylinders?

Brewster

When i saw that from separator drop some water i thought on bad gas, so i even go to bought cca. 15 litres of new gas and add it to the old one and nothing better. Yes we normaly have cold winters but this year wasnt so cold and that was the reason that i didnt't witnerize the engine.

tnx you both
    I have had many do the same thing, What i do is put about 2 to 3 ounces of oil down the cylinder and let it run that usually frees it up.

+1
    +1!!!

The water in the separator can be an indication that you may have a stuck ring and some rust! Ethanol in the gas and you left it long enough for it to absorb moisture! For future reference, I find it much more comforting to spend little time winterizing a ski than committing to every 14 day start! For what its worth everytime you start the engine after sometime, you may have a little dry start and an unnecessarily wear the engine faster!

Smoke coming out is a good indication your problem is in the line of what expert Jim said!
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    check compression might have a stuck ring or a valve.

+1
    do a compression test. if it is a sticking ring that will tell you which cyl and also if more than one are dry or sticking.

today i was to my mechanic and we check the compression and in the first cylinder was the compression 0 (zerro) and immediately told that it must be the valve. So we oppened and see that one valve is broken or better say pushed down. I admit that i did the major mistake because i didnt winterize the engine and now it gonna me cost much more than the cost of winterizing. Anyway tnx guys for all your advices and i hope that this damage and the costs of gas wont kill my desire to ride. Wish you all good upcoming season of jetriding.

Thread Information