Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 700 crank

700 crank

Hey guys, I came into possession of a SLH 700 with a locked up engine. Tore it down and found the middle crank bearings are shot. 1st question, I need a crank rebuilder recommendation and second, the bearing failure appears to be due to lack of lubrication. Bearing overheated and welded itself together. Is this unusual and what's the best way to prevent a recurrence?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Click low on my Signature and you'll find alot of people we deal with. Maybe check with John Zigler(on here) www.watcon.com he may have a good used one. Normally the oil pumps on the Polaris's are bullet proof, I would guess ran low on oil. Could replace it with a known good one, or go to premix. How are the pistons? any scuffing?

+1
    Jeff at Midwest crankshaft is very good if your in the midwest he's in Greenbay Wi.

call the crank clinic (715) 479-5310 marvin up there did ares all the time.He does a lot of polaris race sleds.Tell him JD performance told you to call him.By the way how s my 785 engine coming along?Im ready to get the summer started.

Thanks for the quick replies and great suggestions! I'll be calling Mon. for a solution.

Keddano: The engine shows ~normal wear otherwise. There is some 'light' scuffing on the piston skirts and one ice pick size dimple in the top of one piston. Surprising there isn't more damage since there was loose flaky bearing material in the bottom end. I've been messing with 2-strokes for 35 yrs but this is my first ski project so I'll probably have lots more questions. Just trying to build up a ride for the kids without breaking the bank.

Oh, does anyone know how to remove the splined drive coupling from the crank? Is it just pressed on? The diagram I have isn't clear.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    It is threaded on, The proper way to remove it is one of 2 ways, First is to remove the PTO cylinder head and "Block" the piston with something (a coil of rope works best,I have also used a piece of plywood cut to fit in the bore) then reinstall the head, bring the head of the piston to the top and unscrew the coupler. RH threads.
    The second way is with the head still on feed rope into the PTO cylinder thru the spark plug hole and do the same thing.

Sounds like you might be able to hone and rering the pistons. But in a bind,a light hone and the used rings might just do the trick, just depends how much you want to put into it.

Sending you a PM that will help you out. Good Luck and Welcome to the Hulk, The guys here are the friendliest around.

Here is John's other parts website http://rockcountyjetski.webs.com/
    you can give him a call at 608-743-1305

+1
    thanks for the recommendation Dan...

skyboy, sorry, i do not have any used cranks at this time, but can rebuild yours.....

best to call the shop or email if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    skyboy, sorry, i do not have any used cranks at this time, but can rebuild yours.....
    best to call the shop or email if interested.
    John, I sent you an email! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Sending you a PM that will help you out. Good Luck and Welcome to the Hulk, The guys here are the friendliest around.
    Dan, thanks a bunch for all the info and links. The crank was out of the engine with the drive coupling still attached so I had to improvise. Once I figured out is was screwed on I was able to put the crank between centers in my lathe, hold the coupling on the flats with a 'ford' wrench and turn the crankshaft by hand. Came loose after the third grunt.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by barge bait View Post
    call the crank clinic (715) 479-5310 marvin up there did ares all the time.He does a lot of polaris race sleds.Tell him JD performance told you to call him.By the way how s my 785 engine coming along?Im ready to get the summer started.
    Hey Dave,
    I had not seen you before on the Hulk. Glad you are here!
    (Dave up at AllCraft Manufacturing)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information