Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool Factory Pipe 720 XP

Is the Factory pipe for the 720 xp really worth the money and time? it seems like a lot of work to get that thing adjusted right!

Can't speak for the 720, but I have. Ought a set for the 951 and am so impressed I bought a second set new as a backup incase mine leak. In other words, the stock pipe will ride my shelf for an eternity.

Was it hard to rejet?

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Mike,
    On the 720 I would run the stock pipe. Not only you keep your good performance and reliability, but the stock pipe does not fall off and lasts forever. The 720 was my son's favorite wave jumper because of the acceleration and lighter weight. Ride your 720 and enjoy it. Awesome machine and looks good. IMO keep it stock.

What do you mean the stock pipe doesn't fall off?

+1 on that. My pipes never fell off or even come loose for that matter. As a matter of fact, the factory pipes on the 951 are a hell of a lot easier to work on then the stock pipe.

Call factory pipe, and get the directions. There direction are cut and to the point If you take your time while reading them and installing the pipe. They put me within a quarter turn of the carb screws.

I also run a factory dry pipe on my sxr800 standup. I recommend a fuel additive, or higher then 93 octane fuel, and a superior oil, and you can hold it wot all day.

So its not hard to get the factory pipe set up?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeXP View Post
    So its not hard to get the factory pipe set up?

I own a 1993 XP with a 720 from a 95 and it has the Factory Pipe and several other mods. Does it make a difference? you bet. It is a mid range monster. I bought this built already by someone else, would I attempt to do this myself? No. Because I don't know what I am doing. In fact I tried installing a F-P on my previous 94 XP and it turned out to be an utter disaster. So then I gave up, sold it, and bought this already built boat. This machine is as reliable as a stocker BUT I run $7 a gallon 100+ octane race gas and Maxima 927 castor oil as per the previous owner. I tried running 93 octane pump gas and the Sea-Doo mineral oil once to save money and it ended up sheering off the rotary valve due to the poor oil which resulted in a full engine rebuild. SO you have weight whether or not the extra operating costs are worth it to you.

P.S If this is your only pwc I would not do it unless you want to spend your whole summer wrenching instead of riding. I know from when I tried putting the Factory Pipe on my 94 it just snowballed into a huge open can of worms. First the pipe would not quite fit into the hull so I had to shave a piece off, then when attempting to rejet the carbs I ended up stripping out one of the little screws inside the carbs, then when plugging in the rev limiter I could not figure out the wiring and made a mess of the electrical box. Then when I finally got it running due to screwing up the electrical box the ski would just intermittently die for no reason. Never had that problem until I started trying to mod it. Don't know what your mechanical abilities are but that is why I just got rid of it and bought one already built by a guy who knew what he was doing.

what wold you suggest doing to get a little more pull out of this thing? prop, trims tabs, intake grate, filters?

+1
    Well the Factory Pipe is by far the biggest boost you can do to a 657 or 720. Also aftermarket flame arrestors help too. I would also get an intake grate for better hook up in the chop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information