Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: March Madness

+1

March Madness

Okay, so here in Minnesota we have had the warmest winter on record. Thank you global warming...

What does one do in March on a 70 degree weekend and on your birthday weekend? Well, we play on the water!! Here is my new 2001 Pro 1200. I purchased it from a local forum member. Runs like a top. Thanks Tom! This thing is awesome..

Looks like tomorrow is going to be cool, but for March, the water seemed suprisingly warm. This is going to be a stellar year for jet skiiers.

I was able to get 6920 RPM out of her. That seems pretty good for a mostly stock ski. It vibrates more than my 785, but it seems to run really good. Look forward to putting a few more hours on it to see what it's all about.

Banned User
    +1
    Is that ski stock? That seems like a lot of RPMs for a stock 1200

+1
    Hey Darrin-I'm glad you like it. Your peak RPM is right where it's always been. According to my records there's a Skat 17/24 Swirl impeller in it. Although Polaris states the peak output is at 6,700 RPM, I think it accelerates harder with the higher peak RPM. Bryan-the only mods are reeds and heads.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Well that's awesome. Happy belated B day.

From what I understand, it's the "pork chop" style crankshaft that makes it vibrates so much. That's why some guys are trying to make their own "full circle" 1200 cranks.

Maybe have that impeller repitched? Get your RPM closer to where they should be and gain a touch more top speed? Just a thought.

So how do you think the 1200 pro stacks up against the 785?

+1
    I really like it. It has a lot of torque. The other thing that is nice is that it seems pretty happy at just about any speed. The 785 only seems happy wide open, which is fine, but not really something that you would want to spend the entire day on exploring. I think it's a great addition to the family. It will be nice to ride them side by side to see what the real differences are. It is really strange not seeing the exhaust water to know if your rear strainer is plugged up.

Banned User
    +1
    All I can say is that I absolutely love mine!!!!!!!! I only notice the vibration at speeds just above idle, otherwise its fine. I agree, I think its a good cruising ski too. My in laws live in Savage, not too far from you. Maybe sometime this summer when I am up there I will bring my Pro and we can go ride........

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Derwood98 View Post
    I really like it. It has a lot of torque. The other thing that is nice is that it seems pretty happy at just about any speed. The 785 only seems happy wide open, which is fine, but not really something that you would want to spend the entire day on exploring. I think it's a great addition to the family. It will be nice to ride them side by side to see what the real differences are. It is really strange not seeing the exhaust water to know if your rear strainer is plugged up.
    I got to ride Casey's SLX 1200 at the gathering a few years back. Yes, the 1200 has gobs of TQ at all RPM. No need to wind her up.

+1
    I would really like to see how fast it's going at this point. It moves pretty good. It would be nice to go head to head against my 785 to see how it does. I know my 785 is spot on tuning and runs really good. They are similar, yet really different. I really enjoy them both.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Derwood98 View Post
    I would really like to see how fast it's going at this point. It moves pretty good. It would be nice to go head to head against my 785 to see how it does. I know my 785 is spot on tuning and runs really good. They are similar, yet really different. I really enjoy them both.
    It's hard to pick between your kids isn't it

+1
    I will start another thread when I get there, but I am planning on pulling the pump this week to see what prop I have in there. I have future plans for triple pipes in addition to the already cool stuff that is on this ski. Hopefully this thing will scream when it's all said and done. I am currently putting together project lists for my 785 and 1200. The good news is that they are so far pretty short lists. The bad news is that neither of them are cheap.

Anyone know where I can get one of those cool ski carts to pull the skis off the trailers and move them around? May come in handy in the near future. Why do I always do this in the spring???
    Last edited by Derwood98; 05-01-2012 at 05:15 AM. Reason: SP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information